7 Quick Takes-Day of Atonement Edition

— 1 —

Tonight, at sunset, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement begins. It is the holiest day of the year, the only fast day that can (and this year does) fall on the Shabbat, because it’s the Shabbat of Shabbats.

— 2 —

While I can’t fast this year, Yom Kippur is still my favourite holiday. Why? As each year, this piyut answers the question quite well.

— 3 —

On Yom Kippur life in the Jewish segment stops. While in some very secular neighbourhoods kids can be seen playing on the streets, or riding their bikes, and in the past Arab neighbourhoods have held celebrations on Yom Kippur, mostly the streets are empty, no one drives, and there is no public transportation at all. Because of this, getting to synagogue is a challenge when you don’t attend one close by. We will drive to shul before sunset, welcome the holiday there, and then walk the 6 km home. Tomorrow morning Kevin and some of the kids will walk to synagogue, and then, once the holiday goes out, they’ll drive home.

— 4 —

One of the Yom Kippur traditions not outlined in the Torah is constantly discussing what you’ll eat when the fast is over. (Now as someone who was used to the LDS fasts once a month, that was strange to me, but hey, it’s now tradition!) So here is what I’m making. This year we will break fast with dairy, a big cup of latte and a piece of sweet challah. Then a little later we’ll have cream of mushroom soup, grilled salmon with vegetarian funeral potatoes (cheesy au gratin potatoes) or trout baked in the oven in tin foil with vegetables and butter, and for dessert a cherry pie.

— 5 —

While we didn’t plan to start school officially till after Sukkot, we have done two sections in the kids’ religion workbooks. Yes, religion is a compulsory subject in Israel, even if you are not religious. We covered the sections on Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkot. I love to see how different age groups are addressing the same subject.

— 6 —

This year also marks 40 years since the Yom Kippur War. 40 years since radios all over Israel are left on during this holy day. My father was a soldier in that war. 40 years, and we are preparing for armed conflict again.

— 7 —

May you all be sealed for a good year, and have an easy fast!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

19 Responses to “7 Quick Takes-Day of Atonement Edition”

#3 – What an organization! I hope it works out well and you enjoy the time walking together. I’ve found there’s no better way to talk then to talk when you’re walking. Yom Kippoer is such a beautiful, powerful day.
    #6 – We’re praying for peace here and I especially think about you and your family.
    Ciska recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

2. Rachel says:

Your break fast meals sound great! We also used to obsessively talk about what we’d eat…
    Have a good Yom Kippur.

3. your breaking fast meal sounds incredible. Praying for you all in these times.
    Jenn @ Home is Where You Start From recently posted..7 Quick Takes -lost and found editionMy Profile

4. annieB says:

Oh my goodness! Your break-fast sounds so delish! Praying with you on Yom Kippur!

5. jen says:

#2: I had to watch it on mute because Daniel is having ABA therapy right now but the words were beautiful. I will go back and listen to it tonight.

#4: I forgot that funeral potatoes (which I love) usually have ham in them. (It’s somewhat of a Lutheran thing as well.) I’m also laughing at the whole “discussion of breaking the fast” because on Wednesdays during Lent, we do soup suppers with evening prayer. At Jon’s internship site, his supervisor commented (upon seeing the table full of salads and desserts as well as the crockpots of soup) that during Lent, “Catholics fast while Lutherans eat”.
    jen recently posted..7 Quick Takes: eScapegoat, What I’m Reading, and Problems With Halloween CostumesMy Profile

• I love funeral potatoes, and often make it with non-dairy cheese and smoked turkey ham pieces, or the dairy version without ham substitute. I have two kids with dairy allergies, so we like to make that version too.

I had this whine about lent last year, where most of the lent recipe sites included mostly extravagant dishes that fit the letter of the Catholic law, but not the spirit. Oh well. At the LDS congregation I last attended we had a monthly break fast tradition of potato soup and herb bread meals in the community hall.

6. Lini says:

It’s insulting to Jesus Christ that you call your holiday the day of Atonement.

7. Jon says:

How did they get the funeral potatos name?
    Hugs, Jon

8. anniekitching says:

Thank you SO much for sharing that lovely video! I was moved and inspired.

Yes; I can’t imagine Jesus being offended, Jew that he was.

• After exchanging some emails we found out it was an ESL moment about the word “atonement”. All is good.

And yes, I love that piyut because it is inspiring. It’s a sephardic piyut, but my ashkenazi congregation sings it, too

9. Jon says:

Ahh, If it’s from potlucks, that would be us Lutherans. lol…..