Kiss Me, I’m Irish!

All of a sudden I needed a onesie for Blistex Judy to proclaim her Irish heritage. She wasn’t supposed to make her grand entrance into this world for a few more days, so I had not ordered one ahead of time. I knew of one place where I was sure I could get one and stopped by this morning. And then I got slightly upset, as all of the baby clothes had four-leave clovers rather than shamrocks. A shamrock has three leaves: St. Patrick allegedly used the shamrock to explain the Trinity. Now how can you do that with a four-leave clover? “Just ignore the fourth leaf? No, there is no fourth person in the Trinity. I told you to ignore that leaf. You know what, I’d rather drive all the snakes out of this country than trying to explain this to you!”

SaintPatrick

Oh, Patrick, where is your seatbelt? And none of those snakes are in apropriate car seats! OK, 5-point harnesses might be difficult vithout limbs…

Saint Patrick didn’t have it easy. Also, did you know that St. Patrick was not Irish? He was from Roman Britain, a missionary to Ireland.

So, what did I do to resolve the situation? Of course I made an iron on transfer on a plain white onesie. You don’t tell me you don’t all have t-shirt transfer sheets (and ceramic transfer sheets and and glass transfer sheets) at all times ready for emergencies? Is it only me, who thinks that they are neccessary?

We had green cupcakes for breakfast, to celebrate both St. Patrick any my son Patrik’s name day. We keep that tradition here, for at least some of the children. The others have random celebration days each year, just to make sure we have something to celebrate every few weeks. The school Patrik attends is very big on getting to know all kinds of cultures, so Patrik gets to take cupcakes today, and share about both the Hungarian and the Irish traditions for today. He was adopted by an Irishman, that’s an Irish connection all right!

Many thanks to Ágó and Udi for the additional pictures!

As I type this, we were just told that Judy passed both of her hearing tests. With a history of Waardenburg Syndrome in the family she was tested with both screening tools the hospital uses, and she passed. We were prepared that she might not, which wouldn’t have been a big tragedy.  We already use sign language in my family, and we know how to work with cochlear implants. And she would be just like me. So really, it’s great news, but she will still learn to sign.

I hope everyone has a great St. Patrick’s Day!

Cork

21 Responses to “Kiss Me, I’m Irish!”

1. michelle says:

smiled as i read that post! i can just imagine you getting irritated about a 4 leaf clover.. lol
    and i love the cartoon

2. Galit says:

No, the 4 leaf clover is to remind us that Pesach is coming soon, wiith 4 sons, 4 questions and 4 cups.

😉

Yes! We usually plant clovers on St. Patrick’s and then they are all grown by Pesach. Not this year, I’m afraid!

3. Bozot says:

Hmmm…the fourth leaf…Satan? Okay, I AM sorry 😛

Iron-on transfer sheets are awesome!

Happy St Patrick’s and boldog névnapot to Patrik! 🙂
    Bozot recently posted..Új étkekMy Profile

I *love* St. Patrick driving the snakes out!!! LOL!!!!! This whole post brightened my day!!! I’m still chuckling. You are ready for any crafting emergency!!! You and Nellie would get on quite well. She is also an artistic-can-do-anything-make-anything-beautiful person.

5. Nellie says:

I just miss the dancing; I really do.

GREAT photos!
    Green cupcakes! What fun!!!
    Thanks for sharing all of this!!!
    This post added joy to my already Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!
    Kiss, kiss, kiss…GREEN HUGS and Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!!! 🙂

7. Shauna says:

You are so funny! Glad you have a nice cupcake tradition, and celebrate so much with your family members. Good to have family traditions! Love the variety of Irish pics. It struck me again, as it always does, how dark and gloomy it can be there. But, still, I love the light. And the rain.

Super glad the baby passed her hearing tests. What will you call her, on a regular basis? Lucky baby has a good creative dad, so she can be clothed just right!
    Love the cartoon!! Happy end of Patrick’s day.

8. oh goodness, I love the cartoon of St. Patrick driving the snakes out!! ha! Loving the photos of Ireland, dh and I got to visit Dublin a few years ago, and I loved it, can’t wait to go back!

we need a photo of baby in the onsie…and yeah, the four leaf clover thing would bug me, too…
    Jenn @ Home is Where recently posted..Pinterest cake -nailed it! sort ofMy Profile

As a Cork boy, I always tell people, “Dublin, eh. Come to Cork!” I went to school in Dublin for a year. It is a fun city, but really, my heart is in Cork.

9. Jon says:

I love all those pictures. 🙂 Amazing scenery. 🙂

Is the four leaf clover the American take over or does everybody automatically do the four leaf clover for St. Patrick’s Day?
    Hugs, Jon