I’m Gainfully Employed, Again… or something like that

015After I had to quite my pervious jobs for a number of reasons several months ago, I just started a little side job for the travel company my brother and cousin run. It’s not a travel agency: they sell services to travel agencies around Europe. The programs they offer cater to all kinds of tourists from Christian pilgrims to Jews who want to get to know Israel to people who just want to have a good time. They organize tours, sell accomodation packages and offer day trips for people on organized tours or individual travellers.

Now that Ynet just wrote about how tourists can’t afford Israel, and how we are less attractive to foreign tourists, I think it’s funny that my job is very simple: writing little blurbs about our services that would make them attractive to travellers who are not generally the target group of such an offer. Like offering the modern Israel excursion to people who came to see New Testament sites. Or the kibbutz trip to those who just want to hang out on the beach.

Today I submitted my first 100 word blurb to be used in a brochure. Not the one pictured here, but something similar.

One of the other things I’ll get to do is to revise some of the scripts for the various tours and excusrions. There are several out there, and I might get to come up with new scripts for new tours. Who knows, maybe in the future I will be able to occasionally be a tour guide!

23 Responses to “I’m Gainfully Employed, Again… or something like that”

1. Just Jill says:

That is sooooooo awesomely impressive! I would LOVE to be on any tour you lead. 😀 Very cool opportunity, my friend.

2. michelle says:

when icome to Isreal .. will you be my tour guide????? 🙂 I will pay you in expired gift cards

Haifa, Ashdod and Eilat have sea ports. I think you can sail over here. Almost like a cruise combined with an extended RV trip.

3. Just Jill says:

They thought of you because you love Israel so much! And you can write! And you are very persuasive! The real question is: why didn’t they think of you sooner?

It probably just never occured to them to branch out this way. The routine offers are routine. They could do it for themselves.

4. Adele says:

It makes so much sense to me,Hevel, that you should have a job in writing !! Congratulations to you and to the folks that hired you for this new position!

5. Milena says:

Congratulations! You are a good writer – and you’ll write the best, most convincing blurbs, that will make people pick one more brochure just to read what it says!

There used to be a travel agent in Cork, who had the best little blurbs. I loved reading them. 🙂 He made a day trip to Cobh sound like a magical adventure.

6. Shauna says:

You are the perfect person for this! You are Such a good writer, love Israel, love sharing information, and love to think about, understand, know and discuss religions. you’d make a dynamite tour guide, too. but this is better in a way. Too Terrific! Plus, you can still juggle family needs.

Thank you. I’m really excited about it. I hope I can get back to guiding–only did it a few times in Israel, but did it a lot in Ireland and Hungary–but I do appreciate the flexibility the writing opportunity it gives me.

7. Shauna says:

Plus you are multi-lingual.

I would love for you to give me a tour of the Holy Land!! With your biblical knowledge you’d be amazing!!!!

I can be totally non-sarcastic on a NT tour. I did that once a few years ago as a last minute replacement. Though I am totally excited about marketing Israel to gay travellers!

Woohoo! So cool! I definitely have to visit Israel if you’re start giving tours. 😉
    Ciska recently posted..Good morning!My Profile

As a good Catholic, you’d be in our “non-pilgrimage excursions for pilgrims” target group. Like the Holy Cities tour (Hebron currently not available). But Safed and Tiberias are awesome!

10. Siebe says:

How about a trip for all your readers?

Siebe

Hmmm, like a celebrity blogger cruise? Would be a blast, right? Maybe, one day… It’d have to be while Harel Skaat is on tour!

Congats!!! Sounds like it will be fun…right up your alley!!! And you’re so good with words!!!
    HUGS!!! 🙂