A Reading Update (and lots of links)

I know, I know, February passed without any updates to the reading blog, but I am just about to write two reviews. Or maybe three. I am almost done with Neil Gaiman’s American Gods and finished Richard Castle’s Derrick Storm Shorts, and I’m about to start The Complete Father Brown Mysteriesby G.K. Chesterton. Currently the Kindle book I linked is only 99 cents on Amazon! I also grabbed Perfect Me (Perfection Labs)ย for free, and it’s still free for Prime members and $2.99 for the rest of us. I first heard about this book from The Bluest Butterfly, and apparently it is supposed to read like Douglas Adams’ books. We shall see.

I have to admit that I haven’t really had a paper book in my hands this year. I have been making use of the Kindle App on my tablet, the Kindle software on my laptop and the Kindle Cloud on other computers. Briefly I got to use Yonah’s first, old Kindle, but unfortunately it gave up the ghost at two years old. Turns out one too many coffee spills can kill even a Kindle. What a bummer. Kevin had a local shop look at it, but honestly, it would cost more to fix it than buy a new e-reader. Especially when there is a giveaway going on for a Kindle on Leah’s adoption blog, where for a $10 donation and some FB or blog shout outs you can win a Kindle, too. They have the other fundraiser continuing as well. The Kindle is not part of the original fundraiser, because it was donated to them after the other fundraiser began. If you are in Europe, and can wait, and you happen to win, I’m fairly sure that something can be worked out with Leah so that she can send it to you while she is in Europe for the adoption, reducing shipping fees.

Now, I might have a lot of reading time coming up in the next few weeks. I’m kind of excited about that! So many books to read… Grandpa P is coming in a few weeks, and asked the kids what he should bring. “Books,” was the answer. The middles committed to a book a week program at their school: every school week they read a book. Some shorter, some longer. They share books, and they frequent the library and are now discovering the joys of e-books. Noa finished a novel in Armenian, and I couldn’t be happier and prouder of her! While the twins don’t remember any Armenian, Noa’s hard work and dedication helps her keep her native language.

So what are you reading these days?

19 Responses to “A Reading Update (and lots of links)”

Lisa Gardner’s latest….Touch and Go She always keeps me on my toes guessing. I think you may enjoy reading her. Does Kindle allow book lending? If so, I could lend you one of her novels.

Kindle does and doesn’t. There are limitations and stuff, and you know the other thing, as well…

BTW. I’m impressed with Noa!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

So am I! She put so much work into keeping her Armenian and growing her vocabulary etc. She still Skypes weekly with her Armenian foster parents, and that helps. Kevin’s mother is fluent in Armenian, so she usually speaks that with Noa, and that is also very helpful.

3. michelle says:

I am so impressed with you and your childrens language ability. I come from a bilingual family( my mom was born in a French speaking house and never even knew English unil she was in her teens)and I struggle with knowing 2 languages. I am no where near fluent!!!CONGRATS to Noa . and I hope you get all your books read that you have set goals to read

I don’t know how much they’ll retain in adulthood. Kevin grew up speaking Armenian, and he has forgotten most of it. ๐Ÿ™

4. jen says:

I’m re-reading “The Alpine Xanadu” by Mary Daheim. (It’s the latest in a series of murder mysteries.) My mom also just sent up a bunch of books with my brother yesterday.
    jen recently posted..Lent 2013: โ€œLove Divine, All Loves Excellingโ€My Profile

5. jen says:

She has two series of books. One has an innkeeper in Seattle as the protagonist and the other (the Alpine books) has a newspaper editor as the crime solver. The innkeeper ones make fun of Seattle and use fake names for places. (Example: “Starbucks Coffee” becomes “Moonbeams Coffee”.) Of the two, I really prefer the Alpine ones.

Another author I love is G.A. McKevett who writes murder mysteries with a private investigator named Savannah Reed at the helm. McKevett actually friends her fans on Facebook and interacts with us. I was reading one of her books while Daniel was in the hospital two years ago and she took the time to message me on Facebook to let me know that she was thinking of him and praying for us.
    jen recently posted..Lent 2013: โ€œCome to Jesusโ€My Profile

That is awesome! I remember how happy I was when Vanessa Hidary and Tim Miller responded to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Way to go Noa!
    American Gods is on my reading list too. As are about fifty others. Still haven’t read a book since January 1st. I’m seriously disappointing myself.
    I loved the father Brown mysteries. It’s actually the only work of Chesterton I’ve read, which must make me a bad Catholic. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Ciska recently posted..#? Quick Takes MondayMy Profile

I bought a few more books yesterday, they were so cheap… I finally own a digital copy of Lamb!

• Ciska says:

I’ve forbidden myself to buy more books before I’ve finished reading all I have. And the library is cheaper no matter what. You can’t get cheaper than five euros for a whole year of reading books, watching dvds and listening to cds. Yeah!
        Ciska recently posted..#? Quick Takes MondayMy Profile

Oh yes, libraries. Those things that have all those books in a language I can’t read. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ciska says:

Don’t they have a section in other languages? We have French, English, German, Spanish … books too.
            Ciska recently posted..#? Quick Takes MondayMy Profile

The English section in the closest library is 25 books. Mostly the libraries that have larger sections are either far from me, or usually have very limited types of selections, or costs considerably moe to rent English books, or belong to schools or universities where I cannot check things out. 99 cent Kindle books are the way to go for me.

Good post!!! I always LOVE to hear about what people are reading…It gives me titles to put on my To Read List. ๐Ÿ™‚

That is so cool about Noa!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I love hearing that!!!

I am currently reading a book a friend wrote. And, also, reading The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant.

I was off-line this weekend. ๐Ÿ™ But, internet connection is working now. YAY!!!

HUGS!!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    PS…yay for Grandpa’s bringing books!!!

If you like murder mystery try Lisa Gardner. And I have that “other thing” figured out. ;p