7 Quick Takes

7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

1. First of all, Happy International Women’s Day! In my memories tday is the holiday with snowdrops, violets, brand new tulips, krémes and boxes of Extra dessert… So, ladies, have a very happy, delightful and flowerful day today!

Today is not only a day to celebrate women, but to talk about women’s issues. The current situation in India, certain Republican’s downlplaying of the seriousness of rape in the USA, the continued infanticide and abandonement of female newborns in many countries, the underemployment and unequal pay for women as well as lack of educational opportunities for them in certain parts of the world are very serious issues even in our days.

2. Yesterday was the Kdam final. Kdam is the Israeli national selection for the Eusivision. Moran Mazor won with yet another ballad entirely in Hebrew. What can I say, I’m not fascinated by this song, but go, Israel!

At least it wasn’t the not very pretty lady singing “Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful”. When we first saw that song, Bella remarked, “Oh, sweetie, I could never hate you for that!”

All in all, not a bad song. Definitely better than Dana International’s “Ding Dong”. Not as fun as Izabo’s “Time”. And definitely not as captivating as Harel Skaat’s “Milim”. It is, however, the song representing my country, so I am doing my best to fall in love with it.

3. I’m so excited for the Spring family! They are so close to traveling to Serbia! There is a kind of funny story about their son Asher’s name. When Leah first posted that they were going to name him a name starting with A, I guessed that the name would be Asher. I am hoping that my guess for B’s new name is also right. 🙂 And their son Axel used to live in the same town where my eldest great-uncle used to live. I love Serbia, and I love Serbian food. Now here is what I thought. If some of you reading this went and donated to their Kindle fundraiser, and leave a comment on my post, and you win the Kindle, I’ll get you a Serbian cookbook for your Kindle. One other person who donates for their Kindle giveaway and leaves a comment here will get the same Kindle edition cookbook, that you can read online, on a Kindle, your computer or your iOS or Android device.  If you are not into Kindles or already have one, you can enter their other fundraiser for one more week!

4. In about ten days I’ll be a father again! Baby Blistex (no, we are not going to name her that) is about to make her debut. Her big brothers and sisters are very excited about having another baby, and her nephew keeps asking when she will be finally here.

5. OK, why didn’t I know about Falling Skies? Like with Camelot, it was a friend who pointed it out to me. I’m halfway through the first season, and I love it. Now, I’m also apalled that I completely forgot to watch this season’s Kitchen Nightmares, but I think I’ll just watch that with the big boys when we get around to it. We love all Gordon Ramsay’s shows!

6. I finished the doll I was crocheting. I officially don’t like this pattern, and then I have already made changes to it so the head is not four times as big as the body, and the limbs were originally a lot shorter! Since taking the pictures, I removed the legs and reattached them in a different position. I am thinking of making my own pattern for the next doll.002

I like his smile, though. 🙂 The hair was a pain to do and it was pretty messy. I used black mohair for it, and individually hand tied each strand. Then you can see why I don’t cut my children’s hair!

So the completion of this doll proves that I have no future with selling on Etsy, unless I want to be featured of Regretsy!

7. I realized I never posted about the Irish entry to the Eurovision, and I should have! I mean Hungary got it’s own post, Israel the quick take above, so the country of my birth deserves a mention! It’s Ryan Dolan with “Only Love Survives”.

I think it is a big step UP from sending Jedward two years in a row. It is actually nice dance tune, and somewhat forgettable. It has a catchy tune, though, maybe not as much as “Kedvesem” by ByeAlex, but I think it is enjoyable enough.

Shabbat shalom!

20 Responses to “7 Quick Takes”

I like the doll, he looks really happy!
    And I really hate women’s day. I’ve written a post about it a few years ago, because I got so fed up with the “let’s celebrate this women, because she’s almost like a man!”. Okay, it was more complicated than that, but I’m too lazy to search the post and link back to it. 🙂
    Ciska recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

Oh, I remember that post! Now, the thing about women’s day is that it’s a nice Socialistic ideal that is behind it. And I like that ideal. I also think about it the same way as about family day: we need to celebrate women 365 days a year. 366 in leap years.

And yes, doll is happy. His name is Harel. 😀 The crazy hair should give it away.

2. michelle says:

your doll is adorable!!!
    and i seriously laughed out loud with your comment about Bella… that is hilarious

3. You made me laugh, Hevel. Unless you want to be featured on Regretsy! Bwhaa! THAT is funny. Great comment. And I am so happy to see some of your handiwork. I am fascinated that you can crochet!

I am excited about Leah’s fundraiser, and so happy for her and her new son-to-be! Having met Leah and her kiddos in person, I know “B” will be getting a great family, and will thrive there.
    Welcome Home Katya recently posted..Thank You, Henry and Viola!My Profile

Well, looking at the doll, it would be a clear regretsy entry. I love it, though. He is just perfect for me.

1. I love that doll. I will buy it. 🙂 Regretsy – snort.
    2. Sometimes I practice swearing like Gordon Ramsey which means lots of final consonant deletions and glottal stops. My husband is not impressed.
    3. If you won’t sell me the doll, just send me Harel.
    4. I don’t know why I am numbering my responses.
    5. I hate my job again and will soon be a refugee in your country and change my name to a good Jewish name.
    6. You and Kevin will adopt me.
    7. If I live there can I still have an American weekend???

I think I’ll keep the doll. 🙂
      #7. No. 😛

Gordon Ramsay is probably the second most vulgar character in media history. R2D2 was the most vulgar, all his lines had to be beeped.

5. jen says:

#6: I am in awe of your mad crocheting skillz.
    jen recently posted..Lent 2013: “The Lord’s My Shepherd”My Profile

6. Shauna says:

I love little Harel, and, no, his name is NO surprise! Make a whole flock of them- you’ll get better and better! Then you can have a raffle, or, if worse comes to worse, stocking stuffers! I’m with Nora on the snort- Regretsy! Double snort!

I love that Bella, and have from the minute I first read about her! She’s already a force to be reckoned with! Tell her she can have an American auntie if she wants one! (note-we have no common language). I’m also v. proud of her for keeping up with her Armenian. That’s so important, and a tough act!

Intl Women’s Day is a bit socialist in origin! I used to think it was a grand socialist idea, just like those extra-extra large socialist heroes statues are. The individual hero statues were all of men. Women statues were of ideals….hmmm, never thought of that before.

I never even heard of Eurovision before I read your blog. It’s fun, even if I don’t know the point of it. Some things are best that way.

Serbian! I seem to recall….czap czap cici?? Oh, never mind!

Shabbat shalom!

Actually Bella is Russian, it’s Noa, who is Armenian. Bella speaks, reads and writes excellent Russian, and she speaks Hebrew, English and some German in addition to Russian. She also studied Yiddish in school when she was still in Russia, and she speaks well enough to pass as a haredi girl when we visit my brother’s family. 🙂

I love Regretsy! Too bad it is no longer updated. 🙁

The purpose of Eurovision is to find the best song of the EBU (Eurpoean Broadcasting Union) countries. Public broadcasters can be members of the EBU, and usually around 40 to 50 countries participate. Each country sends one song, and after two semifinals and the final the winner is selected. The winning country has the right to host the next year’s competition. It really is a time when all the participating countries can show off some of their music, to about 100 000 000 viewers worldwide. It’s broadcast in non EBU countries, and online as well. I think it’s an awesome thing.

• Shauna says:

Compliments to Noa, then. My apologies!

Yeah, too bad about Regretsy. I’d never heard of it before, but it has some real hits! I do like Ikea Hacks, though. People re-make Ikea items into something better, and often worse. It’s pretty fun.

Wha’uh’uk???

There you just got a first hand impersonation. I *hate* his crudeness. Truly. Yet I am drawn to his shows like an addict to a crack house. I saw a show where he was with his family. He still had a potty mouth. I was pleasantly surprised his kids did not. 🙂

8. Jon says:

I think it is digusting the Repubs/Teabaggers attitude towards women in this country.

I LOVE Bella’s comment about the singer. lol…

I haven’t yet, but I am planning to make a donation to the Spring family. Sorry, I haven’t done it yet.

I think your doll is cute. I am quite impressed that you crocheted it yourself. Wow…

The Irish song is goog with a good dance beat, but I think the message gets a little heavy handed.
    Hugs, Jon