On the Gay Agenda

agendaAs a gay man most people assume I have an agenda. Gay agenda, to be specific.

I actually do. It’s a bit outdated, and I haven’t used it for years. You see, nowadays I use Outlook and my phone to keep track of appointments and important goals. I have the Franklin Planner Activity App, and so my lovely colourful Franklin Planner no longer gets any use. My very gay agenda sits on my shelf, filled still with the pages for 2008, untouched.

torchwood_kiss

Ianto and Captain Jack

I have a little Moleskine day calendar. I use it as a brief words journal. I write down things that happened and I want to remember. Maybe that’s my gay agenda? Hm, no, not really. Though the one from 2007 or 2008 has a nice rainbow sticker on it from Pride week, and when I was playing with it at the airport one time, a lovely lady asked me if I was supporter of Reece’s Rainbow. Then absolutely oblivious of the special needs adoption world, I replied with a smile that no, this was another LGBT organization. She got quite mad at me!

So now I have gay Outlook reminders. Which reminds me not to be surprised at the bigotry Downton Abbey is bringing out of people inย America. And Greece. I wonder what they’d think if they had watched Torchwood! There are actual French kisses in that show, between various people, not always of opposite genders. The thing is, DA creators have no agenda, and their liberal (and especially Tory or Labour) fingers go where they need to go to build their story, and to depict the world as it is. And the world includes men, who kiss men, men, who have colourful and feminine Franklin planners, and families, who are super proud of not having a papist among them since the Reformation. And Dame Maggie Smith. Oh, and a big dose of anti-Irish sentiment. But you know what? That was part of that period as well, which is sad for this Irishman, but you know what? I deal with it.

14 Responses to “On the Gay Agenda”

1. Just Jill says:

I wonder who the lady at the airport was…if it were early enough in the RR years, I likely knew her. Oops.

Perhaps I’ll catch up on DA today. Strangely enough, it didn’t make it onto Chinese prime time so I’m behind.

I need to rewatch the whole thing. I think I missed a few episodes, Kevin hasn’t seen most, so it could be our evening time distraction.

2. michelle says:

I am going into our local staples tomorrow and ask for a gay agenda just to see what they say
    \
    you crack me up

Oh Captain Jack and Spike!!! I forget his character’s name but that was an amazing story line. Are you a Buffy fan? If you are, I swear you may be the perfect man. ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Jon says:

Wow, she got made at you simply because you had a rainbow that was LGBT oriented? UGH…….
    YAY Dame Maggie Smith. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last night I was looking through things to do out in Las Vegas and I was looking at the Tournament of Kings show at the Excalibur and they have the seating devided up into different countries and one is Ireland and one is Hungary. I thought you might appreciate that. lol… The one show I looked at only had 6 seats left. They were in the Ireland section. Must be a popular show. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hugs…

About the RR-confusion: hilarious!
    A lot of people I knew in the evangelical world (because it IS a different world) warned against the “gay agenda”. I never really understood their fear (?) / anger (?). I guess people who have their own agenda, think everyone else must have one too. Must be tiring to live like that.
    Ciska recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

It’s simple. People are jealous that gays have the coolest planners. Now we have the coolest cell phone cases.

6. Shauna says:

I’m sure the agenda people appreciate this post!

7. Shauna says:

ps….I’ve always suspected the agenda people must be Very Tired, what with all those agendas they make!