Family Day

I think I mentioned before that Israel doesn’t have Mother’s or Father’s Day. What we have instead is Family Day. Many people think it is a feminist and communist innovation. For us it’s the perfect day to celebrate our family. This year it happened to be on Sunday. We celebrate not only the parents and grandparents on this day, but our lovely children as well. The elementary school kids made crafts and the gan prepared a show (that we didn’t go to, because who puts a Family Day show at noon?) and I was woken up by phone calls from Amir and Sam. Then we had a lovely breakfast together, which included chocolate bars to take to work/school.

There were phonecalls to grandparents and a Skype session with great-grandma in Eilat and with Kirill.  There were cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles. We watched “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” and Justin insisted on making dinner with the assistance of Shiri and Ezra… so our family day special dinner was grilled not-cheese sandwiches. It was a great day… and I thought I’d be writing a lot more about it, because it was an important day. But then I realized, Family Day was just a normal day with some glitter glue. You know why? Because we love being a family. We love doing silly things, and special meals can be PB&J sandwiches, if the kids want to make that and decide to take responsibility for feeding the whole family.

Celebrating family is a year round opportunity.  But once a year… add the glitter glue.

16 Responses to “Family Day”

1. Milena says:

I agree. Celebrating family – or one of the parents – should be done the year around, not only one day in a grand way, to be forgotten the other 364 days. I’m happy that you had such a nice day! It sounds like something we could have done too; we aren’t really extravagant 🙂

Here it was the last day before lent (not that we do anything special for lent, but still), and we celebrated by eating traditional wheat buns with almonds and whipped cream. (Google “fastlagsbullar” or “semlor” and you’ll see what I mean). It was nice 🙂

Oh my, those make my mouth water. I actually had them at IKEA before. I need to hop down there on a Tuesday tos ee if they have any more.

We don’t do gifts or much money spending for events like Family Day. Being one family is a gift enough!

Örülök, hogy velük vagy.
    Örülök, hogy jó most. :o)
    Csak belőlem hiányzol, de majd ha meggyógyult a csuklód, hátha vissza kaplak én is! 😉
    Andi recently posted..Szolgálati közlemény 2.My Profile

3. michelle says:

i love that your family has family day everyday/ thats how it should be

That makes me wish I was part of your family!!

Love this! Family Day should be every day of the year! But add the glitter glue when you want a bit of sparkle!
    Happy Family Day and HUGS!!! 🙂

Yes, if it washes off the new couch, it’s a winner of a product!!!

7. Jon says:

Glitter glue is important to use every once in awhile. 🙂
    Hugs, Jon