Couch to 5K

Yesterday I started my couch to 5k prep by looking at couches online. Today we went at bought* a completely different one. I also looked at my running shoes, and realized that the only shoe that still fits is the Vibram 5 finger, aka gorilla shoe. My trusted NIKE is suddenly too loose on my foot. I think that’s temporary, but now it could cause blisters and other unpleasant things.

I’m saying this as if I was anywhere near in shape to go back to running, but with spring approaching I can’t help but try to sneak in 5 minute walks on the treadmill at the lowest setting. I already did one round today! That is huge for me, and I really enjoyed it. Maybe soon enough I’ll be able to do it outside, with my boys, without having to spend 30 minutes on my (old) couch panting after 5 minutes of walking.

The kids’ school has their anual Purim Fun Run the Friday before Purim. I volunteered to provide cookies and some soft drinks. I think I’m crazy, but I promised myself that we won’t take more than a double batch of cookies and a bottle of SodaStream syrup. That should be just enough. The school has carbonated water available, so a bunch of us bringing different syrups seems a good idea.

*I normally don’t just randomly buy couches, but our couch in the basement was damaged beyond usability and we still had IKEA gift cards from Chanukah.

9 Responses to “Couch to 5K”

All things are difficult before they are easy. What does your new couch look like?
    Purim is about Esther and Mordecai isn’t it? The feast where everyone dresses up? When is it? It seems close to the beginning of Lent and carnival here.
    Ciska recently posted..Protected: I.T. (10) What my friends thinkMy Profile

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59889124/ this is what our couch is like, it’s a nice fold out.

Yes, Purim is about Esther, Mordechai, Haman and surviving against all odds… again. Based on the only book of the Bible that doesn’t mention G-d, it’s a really fun holiday, with parades, dressing up and drinking. This year it falls on Feb 24 (Feb 25 in Jerusalem).

2. michelle says:

No one has asked the important question.. did you have meatballs when you went to IKEA??? lol

3. Adele says:

Best opening sentence,ever! Thanks for a real laugh!
    On a more serious note, I do sincerely, hope that you feel stronger with each 5 minute walk and that your recoup time on your new couch will be less and less.

I just wish Kevin would have used his super high IQ when choosing the colour of the couch. 🙂 Of course he got the lightest possible colour. 🙂

It will be a little while before I can do much more than spurts of 5 minutes, and I don’t thing Zyng would help with that!

Getting a couch is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the C25K program. I know. I’ve started. Stopped. Started stopped. Thought about it. Started. Stopped that program several times. It’s a genius format! One that that has never failed me though is my couch. When TaiBo was huge, I sat on my couch while eating Oreos and drinking Diet Coke and I managed TO WATCH THE ENTIRE VIDEO!!! Let me tell you, THAT type of dedication does not come easy. I will be glad to sit on your couch with you and watch you walk on your treadmill….I’m *that* good of a friend….

ps: I LOVE THE COUCH!!! Brave color!!! 🙂