A Bar Mitzvah and Purim

Our foster son Itai turned 13 in the summer, before he joined our family. Because of the circumstances then, he never had his bar mitzvah celebrated. In Judaism a boy becomes an adult, a bar mitzvah, a subject of the Law when they turn 13, with or without a celebration. It is, however, a coming of age ritual as well, and it’s important to recognize such a milestone. Some of you may remember that we had Craig’s bar mitzvah with a party in the spring. For Itai it worked a bit differently, but in a way that Itai felt comfortable being called up to read the Torah. He did really well, and he had a lot of fun at the kiddush offered in his honour at the synagogue after his first time doing so.

Itai is one of four kids who decided to hold their party together in May. They are good friends, and will wait for the last one of them to turn 12 and be a bat mitzvah.

Purim was yesterday, and it’s Purim in Jersualem today. The kids all dressed up and had a blast! There were Purim parties at school and at the synagogue, and there were lots of sweets and music and games and fun. Noya dressd up as Nicki Minaj. It was really funny! My friend Nathan got her a big pink wig, and generally did her make up and everything. It was really funny!

23 Responses to “A Bar Mitzvah and Purim”

Sounds fun!
    Ciska recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

2. Boz贸t says:

Sounds fun indeed! Nicki Minaj? LOL Candy….nomnom *waits for leftover Purim candy* 馃榾
    Boz贸t recently posted..KajaMy Profile

That sounds fantastic and what a great idea for the kids to hold their celebrations together!! I wish today could be Purim for me – a sugar rush would be most welcome right about now….

Yes, I really liked that they wanted to do it together. While there will be a huge crowd and a more expensive hall needed to be rented, the overall cost still comes out cheaper for each family than having an individual party.

4. Galit says:

Did he give a drash?
    Galit recently posted..Serbian mental institutions revisitedMy Profile

5. Purim does sound fun….and especially appealing to Catholics in the midst of Lent.
    anniekitching recently posted..WHERE DID SHE GO?My Profile

Oh well, when you finish Lent and celebrate Easter, we start to count the Omer and don’t do fun things for 7 weeks… so I guess it evens out. 馃檪

Sounds wonderful! Sounds like you will be making some special memories in May! 馃檪

Purim sounds fun, fun, FUN!!! Love the Nicky Minaj idea! Bet Noya looked great!!! 馃檪

HUGS!!! 馃檪

We were watching AI one night when she came up with the idea. We actually had all four judges, Ryan Seacrest and even a Simon. Matthew didn’t want to dress up, so he just wore a t-shirt and said he was Simon. 馃榾

7. michelle says:

i would love to see the pics of the kids dressed up like AI judges lol too cute

How do you like the new AI judges?! And having 4 judges?! There are some really good girl singers this season…I think. I like a couple of the boys, too. It’s always fun to watch and root for the kids. I always end up crying…happy or sad tears. 馃檪
    HUGS!!!

So far I like the judges better than any of the contestants, and I really don’t like the judges all that much…

Ha. Then it’s not a good AI season for you. I like Nicki. I like to see what she’s wearing…and what will come out of her mouth. Ha.

Seems like the talent is not as good this season, though. But, I predict a girl will win this year!!!

10. Hevel @KosherKola says:

Nicki is the new Simon! She does add character to the show that has been missing since Simon left!

11. Just Jill says:

So…have you eaten all your chocolate yet? What about the kids?

Hugs to Itai! So glad he got to celebrate his special day, and still has so much more to look forward to with the party!

12. Shauna says:

BTW… I meant to tell you, a friend posted about mango hamantaschen on his food blog, which you also may like. I love most anything mango:

13. Sounds amazing. .. It seems to be a great experience for your kids as well. Thanks for sharing.