7 Quick Takes Firday
- This week has been wonderfully crazy. Today included. The kids who are attending the same school usually have 5-day schoolweeks, that is they don’t have school on Fridays, just Sunday to Thursday. Once every 2 months, however, they have school on Fridays, when they have various educational activities and a Kabbalat Shabbat service in the afternoon. Because there is an activity on the Friday before Purim, I incorrectly assumed that the Friday school day was going to be then. It wasn’t till 10 p.m. yesterday that I realized I was wrong, so for the second night this week I started loads of laundry after 10 p.m.
- I have been on a Matisyahu kick. “Spark Seeker Acoustic Sessions” is awesomer than awesome. I got it from the lovely Hope Anne, and I’ve been listening to it a lot! This version of Silence really speaks to me.
Matisyahu was always someone whose music I enjoyed, whose widespread popularity I liked and whose orthodoxy confused me. It was very strange to see him go through the same transformation as I’ve seen two of my brothers go through. First it was the beard that was shaved, then the kipah ditched. But the music, the message, the love for G-d and Judaism the same. As I type this, I’m listening to his song “Searchin“. You know what I like the most now that he shaved his beard? That his smile really shines. Alas, his currently available tour dates don’t include Israel. Maybe I should just get over to Germany or Russia.No, I’m not replacing Mr. Skaat. He should just hurry up with his new album.
- Some friends started blogging, some returned to blogging. My friend Michelle started the blog The Grass is Always Greener just a few days ago. Hop over to give her some encouragement!
- While Catholics prepare for lent, I am looking at nice recipes to try in the next month or so before Passover hits and I have to go leavening free for over a week. I found a very nice pot roast recipe I’m going to try next Friday for Shabbat dinner, and I bought a massive amount of turkey bacon for breakfast for the whole week. I looked at the freezer and I have about 5 kg of ground turkey and about the same amount of ground beef. Any good recipes to use those for? Of course this year my birthday will fall during Passover, because everything comes early this year. Sigh. I’m thinking of a hamburger helper cake, because there is no power under the heavens who can make me eat matzah meal cakes… unless they are from Fröhlich. We already decided, as a family, to do a study on three psalms each day between Passover and Shavuot, and I’m really looking forward to it.
- Lots of Eurovision happenings! The 30 Kdam songs were anounced and I like quite a few of them. In Hungary I liked all the songs that made it to the next round so far. Irish entries are mostly ok. Tomorrow night the next Hungarian show is on!
- My friend sent over an article about the purposeful decimation of the human race and artifically caused infertility and pretty much all kinds of conspiracy theories. It kind of cracked me up till I realised it was published in a site that has a pretty normal name, and comes up high on searches for healthy living… and it’s worse than the UFO Magazin! I’m shocked Hungarians take it seriously. At least now I know I would not survive a nuclear holocaust.
- Shabbat shalom!