7 Quick Takes
- Oscar Pistorius. As a fellow amputee and former runner, I always felt bad that I preferred the obviously doping Lance Armstrong over the obviously wholesome, Christian paralympic “hero”. I don’t know, I respect his battle to be treated as equal and I was cheering for him during the Olympics. I hoped the next time I heard about him would be winning some big athletic competition. Instead the news of the shooting death of his girlfriend and his arrest made the headlines. I hope that this was a tragic accident rather than murder. It still won’t change the fact that a young woman is dead, and even if it was unintentional, he will have to live with the knowledge that he killed her… he killed another human being.
- Castle. We have been watching Castle with the older kids. I always love re-watching the episode where Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion reunite! I think our next popcorn eating excuse will be Firefly. Seriously, eating the cheap microwave popcorn with the awfully-bad-for-you fake cheese powder while watching TV shows, chatting (both online and offline) and doing something else at the same time makes me happy, and makes my keyboard greasy. Good thing I can wipe it clean.Now I have a conspiracy theory about the Richard Castle novels. ABC released several books under the name of Richard Castle, and we don’t know who wrote them. Nathan Fillion hinted at the writer having appeared on the show. So I wonder, what if Nathan Fillion is the writer? Maybe some help from his friend PJ Haarsma?
- Y&Y went to the Harel Skaat concert yesterday. The concert was broadcast live on Reshet Gimel, and we got to follow from home. It was pretty great to do, and it started only about 14 minutes late. We always have a bet with Kevin and Yonah about just how late they were going to start, and I won this time! I love living dangerously! Now Yonah and Kevin have to buy me the first Nikki Heat book. See above. I love Castle. I also love Harel Skaat. I don’t like them constantly running late, but at least I get both my Harel Skaat and my Castle fix. Guri Alfi, a comedian, was a guest, and they sang a duet that is super funny. I loved it! Then Guri sang a parody of Harel’s first hit, and it was very funny.
- Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks Péter Erdő would make a good pope. I wrote a few days ago about the whole papal resignation.
- Nirel got 100% on his latest math test! He has always struggled with math, so he is very proud of his achievement. So am I!
- OK, so now a Russian wrestling coach blames the gays for the demise of Olympic wrestling. I have to admit I am furious about wrestling being removed from the Olympics, because some of my countries have always done well, and because it’s a great sport with a great history, but maybe, just maybe, this is the first step for me to rule the world.
- Purim is only a little over a week away. I’m so excited! I know I often say that I’m suspicious about home made treats the kids bring home/I got as a teacher, but we are busy baking for it because people ask us if they’ll get from our “famous” cookies. Hamantaschen, cookies, etc. Of course they are also being constantly eaten. So Shabbat Shalom, have a sweet weekend!