7 Quick Takes

7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

1. Oscar Pistorius. As a fellow amputee and former runner, I always felt bad that I preferred the obviously doping Lance Armstrong over the obviously wholesome, Christian paralympic “hero”. I don’t know, I respect his battle to be treated as equal and I was cheering for him during the Olympics. I hoped the next time I heard about him would be winning some big athletic competition. Instead the news of the shooting death of his girlfriend and his arrest made the headlines. I hope that this was a tragic accident rather than murder. It still won’t change the fact that a young woman is dead, and even if it was unintentional, he will have to live with the knowledge that he killed her… he killed another human being.ย
  2. Castle. We have been watching Castle with the older kids. I always love re-watching the episode where Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion reunite! I think our next popcorn eating excuse will be Firefly. Seriously, eating the cheap microwave popcorn with the awfully-bad-for-you fake cheese powder while watching TV shows, chatting (both online and offline) and doing something else at the same time makes me happy, and makes my keyboard greasy. Good thing I can wipe it clean.Now I have a conspiracy theory about the Richard Castle novels. ABC released several books under the name of Richard Castle, and we don’t know who wrote them. Nathan Fillion hinted at the writer having appeared on the show. So I wonder, what if Nathan Fillion is the writer? Maybe some help from his friend PJ Haarsma?
  3. Y&Y went to the Harel Skaat concert yesterday. The concert was broadcast live on Reshet Gimel, and we got to follow from home. It was pretty great to do, and it started only about 14 minutes late. We always have a bet with Kevin and Yonah about just how late they were going to start, and I won this time! I love living dangerously! Now Yonah and Kevin have to buy me the first Nikki Heat book. See above. I love Castle. I also love Harel Skaat. I don’t like them constantly running late, but at least I get both my Harel Skaat and my Castle fix. Guri Alfi, a comedian, was a guest, and they sang a duet that is super funny. I loved it! Then Guri sang a parody of Harel’s first hit, and it was very funny.
  4. Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks Pรฉter Erdล‘ would make a good pope. I wrote a few days ago about the whole papal resignation.
  5. Nirel got 100% on his latest math test! He has always struggled with math, so he is very proud of his achievement. So am I! ๐Ÿ˜€
  6. OK, so now a Russian wrestling coach blames the gays for the demise of Olympic wrestling. I have to admit I am furious about wrestling being removed from the Olympics, because some of my countries have always done well, and because it’s a great sport with a great history, but maybe, just maybe, this is the first step for me to rule the world.
  7. Purim is only a little over a week away. I’m so excited! I know I often say that I’m suspicious about home made treats the kids bring home/I got as a teacher, but we are busy baking for it because people ask us if they’ll get from our “famous” cookies. Hamantaschen, cookies, etc. Of course they are also being constantly eaten. ย So Shabbat Shalom, have a sweet weekend!

35 Responses to “7 Quick Takes”

#4: He was named as a likely candidate here too. Would be kind of cool!
    #6: LOVE the expression “some of my countries”.
    ##: I discovered the #-button on my keyboard. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Ciska recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

#4. So far I think Cardinal Erdล‘ is a moderate, so could draw support from several factions of the Church. He could be a unifying force. I hope.

#6. The weird moment is when Israel plays against Hungary or Ireland or any combination…

2. I can’t add to the conversation because I don’t know the show or anything about wrestling or much about the pope, but I had to drop a line and say I love the coca-cola header on your blog!
    Jenn @ Home is Where recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday -wild parrots of spring editionMy Profile

Thank you! I love Coca Cola, and I am planning on taking a photo where three bottles are next to each other with the English, Hebrew and Arabic labels!

3. Hevel,

that would be cool! I have a small glass coke bottle with Chinese on it that I bought in Taiwan. Someday I hope to add other neat scripts ๐Ÿ™‚ I had to work hard to keep the bottle, the man who sold it to us wanted to pour the coke into a bag and give me a straw to drink it (out of the bag) and then he would keep the bottle. A group of teens who spoke English came and helped me and I paid him more to keep the bottle! – I should blog this story, it’s weird… ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, because in Taiwan, like many other places, the bottles are sold at an extra. Same in Hungary!

I have bottles from Russia, and since so many people speak Russian here, I might just add them to the photo!

4. Marie says:

I was bummed about the wrestling decision as well. My dad and husband were both wrestlers in high school and I would rather watch wrestling than some of the other so-called “sports”. Don’t get me started… It just seems weird that they took wrestling out.

Way to go Nirel on the math test!
    I will have to go and read your papal resignation post. I haven’t written much about it lately, but I am excited for the conclave! But I will miss Pope Benedict XVI.

And the Coke bottles are super cool! Have a good week (and now I am going to go look up Purim). I have heard about it, but am not familiar.

Oy, oy, as an ex-Catholic and NOT a fan of the current pope, please take everything I have to say with a healthy dose of head shaking. Seriously, I’m looking forward to this very unique situation in history, and I really respect the pope for his decision to resign when he felt he needed to do so. Not saying I don’t respect JPII for staying pope till the last moment. I think they both did what they felt was best for the church at that time, and I think they were both right.

Wrestling is a sport that has been an Olympic sport since the ancient times. I think it should always be part of the Olympics.

Purim… I blogged about it before! http://kosherkola.com/2011/03/purim/

5. Marie says:

My sincere apologies. I should have read your papal resignation post before I commented on this one. I would have rephrased my comment. I did read that post after I commented and yes, from an ex-Catholic and not a fan of the Pope – I actually thought you were much more gracious and sincere (in your disapproval of PBXVI actions during his time in office thus far) than many others who have added their voices to the conversation. So thank you for that. As I was telling another friend today when I shared with her your blog address, I know I will disagree with you on many things, but I appreciate your sincerity, wit, humor, and honesty and that is why I like to check in from time to time. It is refreshing.

Thanks for the link to about Purim. I will take a look.
    But for now, my go to source a little while ago was Wikipedia – I know, I know…not preferable, but it will have to do in a pinch, my benevolent destruction (aka Elizabeth) is currently tearing apart a bunch of baby wipes that I carelessly left in her reach. My bad…

But Esther rocks. Love that book! Need to reread it again soon.
    And Chag Purim Sameach! (I hope I said that right – I know it is early.)
    Marie recently posted..New BeginningsMy Profile

When writing about the papl resignation, I wrote and re-wrote that post. I think a pope deserves a little more gentleness from me than Jewish leaders usually get, simply because I am not Catholic. I still don’t like him. Oh well, maybe the next one. I do carry deep scars from my Catholic past, and they will always, always tint my view of the Catholic church.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on Purim. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shabbat shalom!

6. Marie says:

I meant “not a fan of the current Pope”…okay, I will stop talking…err writing now. I really need to go clean up Elizabeth’s mess and put her down for a nap.
    Marie recently posted..New BeginningsMy Profile

You were correct. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not a pope fan, as much as I respect JPII, if I’m a fan of any pope then it’s Gregory as played by Jeremy Irons. ๐Ÿ™‚ I do have a deep respect for Blessed Sรกra Salkahรกzi, though.

7. Marie says:

Well, we can agree on that. I do deeply respect and admire Blessed Sara Salkahazi. Have a good rest of the day. And no, I still haven’t cleaned up Elizabeth’s mess, but she is napping. I consider that a partial win.
    Marie recently posted..New BeginningsMy Profile

8. Just Jill says:

1) I wonder if it were both a tragic accident and a murder. as you said, it is very sad in any case. Two young lives ruined.

2) Popcorn…greasy goodness…oh how I missed it whilst in China

3) Great concert. Seriously. The funny song was even funny without the translation in front of me. Seriously. ๐Ÿ˜‰

4) If it weren’t for Facebook I still would have no idea he resigned!

5) Way to go, Nirel!

6) The first time I read the article I was on my phone and couldn’t see the accompanying picture. Oh my word, I laughed so hard at that. The ridiculousness iof his position s astounding. I am, however, eager to hear your plan for world domination.

7) Cookies…oh how I love thee…I might not eat your potato and tripe soup but I would assuredly take some cookies. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1) Could be. Now he is being charged with premediated murder???
      2) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
      3) It was fabulous, wasn’t it? And I loved Guri Alfi’s “Salat” from Harel’s “Ve’at”.
      4) Oh yes you would. You read my blog.
      5) He got a 98% on a science test today!
      6) I know! It still cracks me up. In case I get to rule the world, I will make a world wide election reform. Any politician who gets elected to a paid position will go and work in mines, forges etc. for the length of their term before actually taking their elected office.
      7) I think I’m the real cookie monster.

9. Just Jill says:

4) if it weren’t for Facebook I wouldn’t know you OR your blog
    5) wonderful!
    6) Where did THAT come from?

6) After the elections, I am once again realizing, that politicians usually have no idea about the people and their lives when they make their political decisions. Also, I doubt that the politcal elite really knows what hard work means. OK, neither do I. But I’m not paying myself big salaries from miners’ wages. I think farming, being a lumberjack, or working at McD would be acceptable.

Oh Hevel, Hevel, Hevel…it is YOUR FAULT that…
    1) I read your blog first this this morning
    2) That, while applying my Clinique waterproof mascara your “world domination” plan popped into my head, causing me to burst out laughing, which then plastered by mascara wand NOT on my lashes but on my eyelids and thus ruining the carefully applied eyeshadow!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
    3) That, when speaking to my boss on a semi-serious matter, your “world domination” plan again popped into my head causing me to snicker at an inappropriate part of the conversation.

You are such a treat to have in my world!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have some suggestions for your worldly restructuring by the way…I’d like to apply to be one of your evil minions….

11. Shauna says:

I like the name Papa Pete! Even the more formal Papa Peter with a little Hungarian accentuated fling! And, it’s a universal name. Pedro. There could and would be more Pedro’s in the world! I’m all for it.

I’m American and out of touch. Is it obvious I have never heard of Cardinal Erdo before?

12. jen says:

#7: I thought Purim was in March. Am I wrong? (You said it was next week.)
    jen recently posted..Lent 2013: โ€œThou Wilt Keep Him in Perfect Peaceโ€My Profile

Purim is in Adar. Last year March fell during Purim, this year February happens to fall during Purim. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s actually a little over a week away, starting a week from tonight.

13. Siebe says:

“Hamataschen”, hmm that is with jam in it. Or is it? I do make Hamansears (no idea how to spell it). But that is not the same.

Hevel please make and blog and share the recipe on the triangular things with jam and/or cottage cheese please!! I’m not going to attempt the spelling. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Shauna says:

The hamentaschen picture reminds me of a quilt.

16. Jon says:

That is really sad about the Oscar Pistorius situation. ๐Ÿ™

I LOVE Castle. It reminds me of the old show Moonlighting when it was good. lol…

So not only are we to blame for all the bad weather, now we are effecting the Olympics? WOW, I didn’t know we were so influential. :p

You have famout cookies, huh?
    *waits patiently for a cookie*
    Hugs, Jon

Jon, we really are powerful. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am sad about Pistorius, too, but I also LOL at the Lance Armstrong meme I posted two posts later. ๐Ÿ™‚

Castle rocks, and yes, it has a Moonlighting feeling. I so love the novels written by “Castle”. ๐Ÿ˜€