Books, TV and Rain

It’s been a rainy, stormy week in Tel Aviv. There was flooding! This hasn’t happened in over a decade. My kids’ schools are closed, Kevin’s work is canceled for the rest of the week because of whatever reason, and…

…and part of our basement is under water.

When Kevin told me, my first reaction was, “Oh my gosh, what about the book shelves?!” I have to admit my voice had some edge of panic. The book shelves! All the books down there! And my Stargate DVD collection!

Then Kevin told me, “Don’t worry, the only things damaged are the old couch. Oh, and the Playstation is shot.”

The old leather couch. The Playstation. I hated both. We will have to replace them, though, but I’m relieved. It’s not the books.

Even though this past year I really didn’t read as much as I used to, reading and the love of books is important in our family. All but two of my middle and older children are readers and those two will not say no to a book that most of their siblings recommend to them. Now that my older boys are in the IDF/university I often hear the complaint from them that they don’t have the time to read for fun. Because reading can be fun!

One of the things I often find myself and my kids doing is that the TV is on, and they are sitting on the couch with a book. When I ask them what’s going on with the show on TV they can tell me, and at the same time they can continue reading… maybe not as fast as if they don’t pay any attention to the TV, but their understanding and the retention of what they read is marvelous, considering that they are also waiting to find out who killed the blonde girl.

One of my non-bookworms is Itai. It’s not surprising, considering that he is dyslexic. Reading van be frustrating for him, but I found him reading more and more online. He mostly reads to gather information, because he is absolutely curious about the world. Wikipedia is a favourite place for him to hang out online.

We have several TV shows we like to watch. Some are family affairs. Some only appeal to some of of us. ย Some watch our shows in English, some in Hebrew, Russian or Hungarian. Simply because we can. Actually, the dubbed versions of the shows are good language practice.

So… there is rain, rain, rain in TA. But the books are safe for now.

8 Responses to “Books, TV and Rain”

1. Jill says:

Thankful it’s such a rare rain event…maybe the bookshelves will be able to safely stay down there? And the couch…I’m sorry. I do remember a certain person who was going to buy a couch as phase one in the Couch25K program? A hint, perhaps? ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are right. (No surprise there.) Step one: buy a couch. ๐Ÿ˜€ I am actually interested in two or three IKEA products that would fit our basement better. And then… I can work up to 5K walking. ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe.

Thank the Lord the books are safe!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I must read every day or Im agitated and stressed. It’s my decompression. I’m currently reading Benedict Groeschel’s Arise from Darkness. There has been with me, and people I care about, an onslaught of suffering. The latest being a suicide of a friends young daughter. I don’t know what I would do without my books.

One of the books I started to read, but put aside for times when I am more in the mood for the topic is C.S. Lewis’ “The Problem of Pain”. I love reading, but often I don’t have the patience or really the reading comprehension to to do much. ๐Ÿ™

I’m so so SO glad the books are safe!!! A person’s books are so important because books are just important…but, also, because they are books the person has taken years to buy…and if they are still around it’s because they have meaning to the owner.
    I’m so glad when kids enjoy reading and researching. ๐Ÿ™‚ Words keep us company, challenge us, entertain us, give us an escape, teach us, make us cry and laugh, and so much more!!!
    HUGS!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. jen says:

Yay that the books were saved!
    jen recently posted..The Simple Womanโ€™s Daybook: January 7, 2013My Profile

I was very, very relieved… It took me a long time to collect them. Till the weather normalizes, we have them packed in air tight containers (and big nylon bags for extra security) in the top level of our house.