Reading

nerd_glassesI realized that this year, especially the second half, I haven’t been reading as much as I used to. It’s not that I’m not interested in reading, or I prefer TV, but reading has caused some physical discomfort. I could get away with reading on my e-book reader, but really, reading just wasn’t fun anymore because of the headaches and muscle pain…

Last week I got some prescriptions for new glasses. Bifocals. I would have needed those for a while, but could get away without them… till now. My eyes worsened a bit in the last 6 months, and I really needed to admit that I’m old, and I need bifocals. I picked out some nice frames and ordered multifocal lenses. I was told it would take about a week, but I got one of my two glasses today! The world has changed! If I look far, if I look close, everything is awesome and sharp! If I look in between… now that’s another story, involving some nausea, but I’m told it takes a few days to get used to it, so I’ll try to survive that long.

I have several books to read now, and at least one of them is not science fiction! I have the books Kevin gave me for Chanukah (that he has already read): Metro 2033 and its sequel Metro 2034, both in Hungarian, Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate by Justin Lee, and Rashi (Jewish Encounters) by Elie Wiesel. I’m so so so excited!

12 Responses to “Reading”

1. michelle says:

i am so happy for you itoo am a book lover and i was told i need bifocals but pride has lept me from getting them. i am just getting by without them. i hope you enjoy many hours of wonderful reading

I had bifocals as a child, and I hated them. Never got used to the abrupt change. Then after an eye surgery I didn’t need them for a long time, and when I did… yeah, vanity, Hevel is thy name! 😀 But now I had a groupon type coupon for multifocals, so I used that.

2. Jill says:

We read to know we are not alone. ~~C. S. Lewis

So true! Need to make it a cross stitch sign (next to the “Jill is always right” one) to hang in the library master bedroom that has been taken over by books.

Anya hetekig szédült, meg hatalmasokat lépett, mikor először bifokális szemüvege lett, emlékszem, dühében meg akarta taposni.
    Aztán meg úgy megszokta, megszerette, hogy most egy horror összeget volt képes költeni rá, de nem adja lejjebb, mert ez a JÓ! 🙂
    Majd megszokod, türelem!

ÉS NEM VAGY ÖREG!!! <3

Ez a te kereted?
    Tudod ki ugrik be róla? Biga! 😀
    Tuti szexi pasi leszel benne, és tudom, hiába is kérnénk képet, úgysem muti meg magad benne… 🙁

😉

Igen, olyan bigás. Majdnem ugyanilyen az enyém, csak még SZTK szemüvegesebb abban, hogy a szára nem ilyen designos. 😀 De ez a sorozat.

Hurray for reading! Cléo ordered a big load of books for me, so I’m planning on reading a LOT this year. Want to make it a competition?
    Ciska recently posted..Protected: I.T. (4) So Many Excuses …My Profile

Sure! Let’s make it a competition! The competitive soul I am will read more that way! But we need clear guidlines: what makes a book count, I mean I have several shorts now. Should we set up a page on my blog? Yours? A sub domain with a separate page? Do I just give you admin access to my blog? Do we want anyone else to join?

• Ciska says:

Good questions! Any book would count I guess. Thick books are wonderful, but short ones can be (and usually are) just as thought-provocing and interesting. Maybe we should write a short review of every book we read (what’s it about, what did I like, what didn’t I) on a separate page somewhere (mine, yours or somewhere else entirely, it doesn’t really matter). It doesn’t really have to be a real competition, but more like a challenge, where the ‘loser’ gets the winner somehing at the end of the year. And of course, as always, the more people, the more fun!
        Ciska recently posted..Protected: I.T. (4) So Many Excuses …My Profile

I can easily set up a reading challenge blog or forum. I have a page here where I want to record all he books I actually finish in 2013. I was silly for not getting all the crime novels when they were sale on Amazon for the Kindle!

So what do you say? Blog? Forum?