7 Quick Takes Friday – the last one in 2012

7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

1. I’m back. I know I missed two weeks, and to be honest, I didn’t realize it was Friday today till about 5 minutes ago, when I started to see the Quick takes on my reading list. Good thing I actually look at my feeds, right? I just pretty much lost sense of time and direction, and I’m living in a bubble outside of the known universe. It’s probably because I’m sick (again) and every day is the same.
  2. This week I had the opportunity to have breakfast with my rabbi twice! After the first breakfast he was heading over to pick up the cell phone that he got free with the subscription he has. It was his first smart phone, and he got an iPhone 5! Today he let me play with it, and I am proud to say I didn’t break it. I like it much better than my old iPhone that I hate it, and now I’d really, really like an iPad Mini or an iPod touch. I won’t buy either, though. At least not till my current contract from my tablet expires in June 2014.
  3. Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of Blessed Sára Salkaházi.
  4. Christmas, as always was a difficult day for me. While it is the anniversary of the arrival of Patrik, it carries many, many negative memories attached, and just my internal clock sets an alarm for it… Luckily, Christmas is over for another year, and hopefuly next year I’ll be all better and we can take a short winter vacation to the Zohar Hot Springs and a nearby kibbutz. Hopefully the schools on’t have a problem with releasing the kids for a few days.
  5. I couldn’t avoid it any more, I needed to get new glasses. Multifocal ones. I might enjoy reading actual books once again after I get them, and not just e-books, where I can make the font size gigantic.
  6. Just because Putin has signed the ban on  US adoptions of Russian orphans, there is no reason to give up on caring for the orphans of Russia. Especially now is the time to support them. There are many ethical organizations that work with Russian orphans and other underpriviliged and disabled children. Missionaries Valera and Maude Motovilov of Yoshkar-Ola, capital of Mari El, are among these people. Their blog can be found here, and I have friends, who have seen their work first hand. They are also keeping in touch with special needs orphanage graduates as well as working with the community, spreading the gospel. My brother, one of the first children adopted by Westerners from Russia, is also about moving back there and hopes to establish good relationships with the orphanage he once lived.
  7. Shabbat Shalom and Happy New Year!
    shabbatshalom

9 Responses to “7 Quick Takes Friday – the last one in 2012”

1. Galit says:

Hevel,
    I don’t know about the organizations you mention, but according to this article, the new law bans American charities, too.
    Galit recently posted..Are you home-study ready?My Profile

That’s why I’m posting a Russian national. And tehre are several organizations in Russia that could use American support. Of course it won’t be tax deductible, but I can’t find any verse in the Tanakh or the Christian scriptures stating that giving and caring for the fatherless has to be tax deductible. 😉

2. Milena says:

And there are charities from other countries too…. I am indeed very sorry that there’ll be an end of adoptions from the USA. It’s so sad when little children get caught in the political fights 🙁 Let’s hope other countries will get to increase their adoptions from Russia!

Exactly! The foreign charities have been brought up before, but you just won’t believe how many times it was said, as I pointed out in my reply to Galit, that giving to foreign charities was not tax deductible. That made me sad. I get it that if its tax deductible people can give more (I do hope that is their reason for wanting it to be so), but giving less is still more than not giving.

• Milena says:

Giving here is never tax-deductible, so I guess I never quite understood the importance of it to Americans…. It’s really very sad if people avoid giving because of such reasons! As you say, giving less is way better than giving nothing. How else could I make my children feel like their giving out of their own coins would be of any importance to anyone?

3. Jill says:

1. Your voice is missed.
    2. I’ll believe it when I (don’t) see it. Or hear about it.
    4. *really big hugs* ***even bigger hugs***
    5. Hipster frames…I will if you will. 😉
    6. You hadn’t mentioned this brother to me before. Do tell! Oh, and this is the most positive, helpful thing I’ve read about the ban on US adoptions from Russia. I am most emphatically NOT a fan of calling US congressmen (as so many are suggesting) unless it is to ask them to reconsider their opening salvo against Russia. We don’t HAVE to be the worldwide bullies.
    7. Aren’t you a bit…oh…idk…LATE to wish Happy New Year? Hmmmmm? Like about 3 months worth?

😀 Happy New Year, Hevel. 😀

1. I’m not sure about it, I had fewer visits after posting my link than on days when I don’t post. Weird. 🙂
      2. Yes, I’ll whine about wanting it. No, I won’t pay for it.
      4. Thank you!
      5. I did.
      6. He is my younger adopted brother Sergei. He was adopted from Leningrad before Hague, and it was an experience that landed my whole family in Leningrad for 5.5 months. He recently served an LDS mission in Russia, and is preparing to move back.
      7. I think I’m about 9 months early.

4. You lived in Russia for over 5 months?! How old were you then? I learn something new about you every day, I think.

And thanks for sharing about Maude and Valera’s work . . . it’s pretty cool, and yes, it’s a Russian National doing it so it works fine, at this point. We are so looking forward to them being in our home THIS MONTH. 😉
    Welcome Home Katya recently posted..GIVEAWAY!!My Profile