Maya’s wish

Maya is a little girl of 6 years, daughter or Tibi and Ramona, living in Ashdod, Israel.

Maya is the first member of her family to be born in Israel. She has spent all of her life in Ashdod, a city famous for the large new immigrant population and the frequent rocket fire it has endured from Gaza. Maya is in first grade. In addition to learning to read and write and do maths, Maya is also learning how to take shelter under her school desk, and how to stay safe when the rockets shower her city. She might very well be one of those children who have already learnt to sleep through the air raid sirens in the night–or they wouldn’t get much sleep at all.

I have lost count of the number of rockets fired at Ashdod in the past 4 days. Yesterday afternoon the count was over 500 for the all of Israel, including ones fired at the supposedly Muslim holy city of Jerusalem.

Maya has a message.

Her mum captioned this photo this way: “My daughter’s Maya message: “Please, stop the rockets!” Help her spread it.”

ETA: As I was typing this post up, there was an alarm in Ashdod, and from the sound of it, Maya’s mum thinks it might have been a direct hit in the town.

ETA II.: Ynetnews confirms the hit within the city.

ETA III.:  Ramona:  on channel 2 they said one fell on a building and one on a truck. The Jerusalem Post also reports three injuries as three rockets hit Ashdod.

20 Responses to “Maya’s wish”

1. Mikeás says:

Szia!
    Maya nagyon bátor kislány! Remélem hamar teljesül a vágya. Nagyon szépen rajzol, igazi kis művész!
    Békét kívánok nektek!

Rdnai Miki Kolozsvárról

2. Ramona says:

Me and Maya are thanking you, Hevel. You are a great friend.

3. Ramona says:

This is for Mikeas, I hope you won’t be angry at me, Hevel:
    Mikeas, my Hungarian is incredibly rusty, so I’ll write it in English…you have a message from Maya – next time she’ll be in Kolosvar (hopefully next summer) she’ll give you a kiss for your nice words. For now, only a virtual hug…

4. Leah says:

Oh Hevel, praying for everyone!
    Leah recently posted..November 2011My Profile

5. Christie says:

Praying for you and all to be safe!

6. Holly says:

I just found your blog again after so very long! I loved your post about Noa and her Barbies 🙂 You are way way way smarter than I will ever be and some of the things you write about are truly over my head but I have been feeling convicted more and more lately that I need to wake up and pay attention…actually follow the news somewhat (ugh!) especially concerning Israel. I know so very little but I do know this: OUR FAMILY STANDS WITH ISRAEL! I hope you and your family are well. Our family has grown by 2 feet since we last chatted and we moved across the country for hubby to go to language school! Thank you for sharing this message, Maya’s message. She is so beautiful and I hate what she has had to experience as a sweet child. May her photo and drawing be seen all over the world and have an impact. Blessings, Holly, formerly of Purpose Driven Family Blog

7. Hevel, thanks for your comments. We are also very glad to hear that you’re safe. May HaShem bless your family, and especially all your loved ones on the front line. We continue to pray for open hearts and a quick end to the conflict. A big hug from Jerusalem!
    Jessa @ Shalom Sweet Home recently posted..The Not-Quite-False AlarmMy Profile

8. AMA says:

I worry so about you and your large family. How do you keep the younger ones from being terrified? Do you have a plan of where to meet up in case you are separated?

Years ago(Many Years) while they were building bombs underground in the US, we had evacuation routes. Wherever you may be at the time you needed to evacuate is the route you had to take. You could end up hundreds of miles from home and we had many bombs built around us, because of all the military.. On a school/work day every single one of the 6 of us was in a different evacuation route. We had approx. 15 to move out. Our meet up pace was 200 miles away at my grandparents. We all wore dog tags with names, blood type on them. At school we had practice drills, under the desks and out in the hall seated with arms over heads. It was so scary… This was in the early 50’s.

Hope you are all safe..♥

• We live in the relatively safe bubble of Metro Tel Aviv. After decades the first, and so far last real rocket threat came during the Pillar of Defense. Our home school group advised us to still hold regular drills, and it’s kinda odd that when taking my children for whatever medical procedure/hospital stay, one of the first things we are informed about is what to do in the case of an attack. Each of us own gas masks provided by the state), and we know how to use them. We know where the various shelters are, and we know to always show our shopping bags to security as we enter the store (not when we leave).

In a way, it’s just a way of life. Yes, it can be scary for the kids, but it’s nothing as bad as what the kids in the south, in Ashkelon or Ashdod experience.

Those drills in the US with under desk and arms over heads were more used to maintain the general fear than to provide a chance of survival in a case of a nuclear attack. Or any attack, really. My kids’ old schools have desks that are actually designed to withstand quite a bit of debris in case of an attack, and we still know that they are useless in case a real attack happens.

9. AMA says:

I am from another blog site (well known, but pretty boring, you know..JM) and just changed my handle for this one…

10. Jon says:

I pray that the maddness will end, and that all children and their families will be safe.
    Be safe my friend.