Laundry and I

I might not be the most ideal parent. My 9-year-olds do their own laundry and so do all the other kids who are older than them. My 4-year-olds carry their laundry to the bathroom (where our washing machine is), put their clothes in the machine, help put in the detergent, and then I start the washer. When it’s done, they get the clothes out, and help hanging their clothes to dry. If a kid doesn’t do their own laundry, they don’t have clean clothes. It’s simple as that.

I like to say that we don’t have a dryer, but it’s not entirely true. We have two washing machines, one with drying capabilities. We hardly ever use the dryer function for a number of reasons, one of them is the static and the way things we dry in a dryer need to be ironed.

Now, the truth is, I don’t iron. There are precious few exceptions to the rule. One of those exceptions is the uniforms of my older boys. Normally they handle their own laundry when they are home, but last night Noah Β had a party he was invited to, so I offered to do his laundry. His clothes definitely needed some ironing, so I set out to find the iron. After about 20 minutes I found it! Then I realized that unlike my keyboard, mouse and internet, the iron wasn’t wireless, it just missed the wire. Don’t ask. I don’t know how that happened!

So off I went shopping for an iron. Did you know that irons today have computer chips and in addition to ironing they can do youe chemistry homework and sing the national anthem? Or at least I suspect they can, based on the amount of money they cost! So we returned home ironless, and had to ask my SIL to borrow her iron. Tomorrow is another shopping day… by when I’ll completely forget I’d need one, so next time I’m frantically looking for one at home, someone please remind me that I don’t have one.

13 Responses to “Laundry and I”

1. Jill says:

Oh, Hevel…wireless irons. If only.

I actually enjoy ironing. I keep back-up irons around, too. I will not be caught with my pants down…erm, unironed.

2. Milena says:

You could get yourself an old cast-iron-iron, that you can heat on your stove. They’re actually wireless πŸ˜€ Though not electrical…. (sorry, couldn’t resist it!)

You won’t believe it, but I told Kevin that maybe I should just go to the shuk and find a shop selling antiquities to get an iron!

3. Wireless Irons?? Yeah, Jill and Hevel. They do exist . . . in the antique stores . . . find your wood stove, fire it up, and get that SAD iron heating . . . What?! You don’t like that idea?! But it’s WIRELESS. πŸ˜‰

Welcome Home Katya recently posted..Attention!My Profile

4. jen says:

Actually, I’d say that you’re an incredibly ideal parent because you’re teaching your kids how to be responsible at an early age.
    jen recently posted..The Simple Woman’s Daybook: November 26, 2012My Profile

Oh my gosh, how did I miss your comment? Well, to be honest, lots of people think I am putting too much responsibility on my kids too early, and laundry is OMG dangerous! Obviously, I disagree with them.

Hey, guess what? I’M bach!!! I just got home!!! Now, the catch-up process begins!!! πŸ™‚

I hope you are doing well!
    It was fun to read this post!
    Ironing was one of my chores as a kid. And that’s back in The Dark OH-SO-Dark Ages when people even wanted their underpants and jeans ironed. :-O πŸ™‚

I do as little ironing as possible these days. So you can have my iron if you want it! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

HUGS!!! πŸ™‚

Are you Johann Sebastian or one of his sons?

Good to have you back! Do you remember my son from Xanga? He is now on WordPress!

6. Shauna says:

I also taught my boys laundry skills as youngsters.by age 10 they were mostly on their own. Well worth it. I own a mostly unused iron- thought it was a necessity after I tossed the old gummed up thing out prior to a big move. Silly me, I don’t own an ironing board! Wait! I live now in Texas! I can iron outside with a towel on our metal table! When was the last time that happened? Mostly now, ironing takes place in hotels getting ready for big family events. And, then, ironically, it’s primarily for my boys!

S.

I think it was one of my best decisions ever. This is one of the safest chores they could start doing fairly early and gain independence in quickly. The other thing they do help with from a young age is sweeping and mopping their rooms. And dusting. That requires more supervision from my part though. Oh, and my -year-olds LOVE scrubbing sinks.

Your question on Bach made me laugh. πŸ˜€
    I DO remember commenting on your son’s posts on Xanga! I’m glad he’s on WP now! πŸ™‚
    HUGS and Happy Almost-Friday!!!
    πŸ™‚