Elementary?

Two episodes into Elementary I have an opinion. OK, who am I kidding, 5 minutes into the first episode I had an opinion! And my opinion is that they should just rename the two main characters to something, anything else, and it would be a great show.

Many hardcore Sherlock fans I know swore not to watch this “American rip-off” of the BBC show, but as a super hardcore Sherlock Holmes fan I couldn’t pass the opportunity to add to my Sherlock adaptation watching routine. I’m glad I didn’t! It’s not that I adore Jonny Lee Miller, and if I ever wanted to adopt a Chinese Girl it would be because of Lucy Liu. (I’m not even kidding, unfortunately.) It goes beyond loving Aidan Miller. I wasn’t even sucked in by the name Sherlock Holmes, because that was the last thing I’d like about the show. As I said above, I consider it a mere coincidence that someone decided to name his son after the great detective and that this son also became a great detective.

Elementary is a good crime show. It, however, doesn’t measure up to either the classic Garanada series or the current BBC series as far as being Sherlock Holmes-y. Maybe the same category as the Guy Ritchie movies? It doesn’t really matter. It will be just fine for the general American TV viewing audience, because besides Watson being awfully out of character, and Sherlock being more House than Holmes, this is  agood show. The second episode, especially, was exciting, and built up oh so logically I was ashamed I didn’t figure out the solution just a minute before it was revealed!

My only beef with the show is that it does feel like a little bit it was just a response to Sherlock  and the idea was over-Americanized and lost some of the magic that it could have had.

Overall, I’d give it 3.5 stars out of 5, and would recommend it for those, who like quirky characters and shows like House M.D.  or Monk.

9 Responses to “Elementary?”

1. jen says:

I’m a fan. Not as much of a fan as I am of “NCIS” or “The Big Bang Theory” but a fan nevertheless.

I was hoping this would be a good show. But I haven’t had time to watch it.

I love the show Perception. Also, love Homeland. And I’m waiting for The Walking Dead to return.

HUGS and hope your weekend is going GREAT!:-)

• Kosher Kola says:

You should give Sherlock a try! Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson are awesome. And they had the best Moriarty ever!

I will give it a whirl! (movie quote from Home Alone :-))

Are you watching any of the singing comps…like The Voice or X-Factor?

• Kosher Kola says:

I’m watching the Hungarian X-Faktor. And the Hungarian Voice is starting next week. Should I watch any of the American versions? Is there anything good going on?

The Voice (American version) has several really great singers this year! I’m gonna follow them to see how they do. (BTW: I just like looking at Adam Levine :-D) And I only started watching the X-Factor because I had read this past summer that Gene Simmons (KISS) daughter, Sophie, was gonna’ try out. I wanted to see how she did. I like her voice. She’s trying to find her way WITHOUT her Dad’s help. There are a couple of other girls on X-Factor who are amazing this year!

Yes, I understand. And they change the judges too often for my liking! 🙂