7 Quick Takes – Jewish New Year edition

1. Sunday at sunset the year 5773 will begin! Woohoo! I’m excited!
  2. Rosh Hashanah, the 2-day-long  holiday just coming up is known as the Jewish new year, but we, in fact, have three other new year celebrations. The big one is, however, Rosh Hashanah. I also usually mention the new year of the trees, Tu B’shvat.
  3. The standard greeting in Hebrew is “Shana Tova”, meaning good year, or Shana tova ve metuka, meaning good and sweet year. On the first night, you may say “Leshana tova tekatev vtechatem — May you be inscribed for a good year!”
  4. Rosh Hashanah is the first day of the Jewish year. As written above, the new year will be 5773 of the Jewish calendar, meaning that Rosh Hashanah will mark the 5773rd aniversary of the creation of Adam. Our calendar starts with the day Adam was created, yes. It doesn’t mean that the Universe is not billions of years old and man hasn’t been around for hundreds of thousands of years. It just means that some Bronze-age semi-nomadic shepherd decided to give a date to man’s creation. Just in case someone thought that I believed in the 6-thousand-year-old Earth creation myth.
  5. During the Rosh Hashanah services we listen to the sound of the shofar. This sound also calls us to repent, an dthere are ten days of repentance that will culminate in my favourite holy day, Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.
  6. This year I decided to skip my usual Moroccan pommegranate chicken recipe for the first night of Rosh Hashanah. I am making a honey-mustard-curry baked chicken. It is traditional to eat apple and sweet things for Rosh Hashanah, like apple and honey. In this photo that’s yummy sage honey I got from the fabulous Andi.

7. One of the things associated with this holiday (like with most every Jewish holiday) is helping those in need. Please visit the Duecks’ blog to see what needs they currently have, associated with Katya’s care.

This week’s 7 Quick Takes was hosted by Camp Patton.

10 Responses to “7 Quick Takes – Jewish New Year edition”

1. Jill says:

1. 🙂
    2. New year of the trees? I would love to hear more about that!
    3. Shana tova! (Did I get that one right, if a bit premature? Read it again on Sunday evening, OK?)
    4. No one thought that, Hevel…trust me.
    5. I absolutely love the meaning of Yom Kippur. Somehow it had eluded me all these 44 years so I thank you for helping me to know it a bit better.
    6. You have good friends. 🙂
    7. You are a good friend. 🙂

2. Yes. 🙂 It was inportant in Temple times to know towards which year’s tithe the fruit of a certain tree counts towards. Today we celebrate with eating fruit, planting trees, and it really has become a Jewish Earth Day in many aspects.
      5. Yom Kippur is my favourite holiday. A few years ago I posted two posts that I keep re-posting each year, because I can’t write anything better about it than those two posts.
      6. I know! I’m so blessed.

Tudom, hogy ez most kicsit nagyképűség, de örülök, hogy egy picike darabban ott lehetek veletek az ünnepen, a kis termelői üvegessel. 😀
    Édesítse meg ez a finom zsályaméz ezt a napot, de főleg a jövő éveteket és az életet.
    Alakuljon minden jól. JÓL! Egy nagyon szerencsés új évet kívánok, előre is, és folyamatosan!
    Szeretlek! :o)

3. Rachel says:

L’Shana Tova!
    Have a very sweet year.

4. Bozót says:

May this year bring you tons of sweet moments! Sweet as sage honey 🙂

Happy New Year!!! Have a fun, happy celebration! I hope this next year is your best yet!!!!
    This post was a joy to read!
    How wonderful to have friends who care, pray, and support!
    HUGS!

6. Ashley says:

Happy new year! That chicken curry sounds great.