What a Night!

After Kevin got home last night, and finally climbed into bed next to me, he said, “You are hot!” And he didn’t mean my looks. After a cold, not cool shower my fever didn’t break, so off we went to that place I’ll just refer to as the ER. By this time the chest pain I’ve been having better or worse for a while was getting way worse than before. At the ER I was handed a cooling pack, wich didn’t help much, except made the pain in my joints worse.  We sat and waited. I think I might have fallen asleep leaning against Kevin a couple of times, only to wake up to stabbing pain in my chest or being very cold.

I was eventually seen and was ordered IV ibuprofen, because that should take care of my symptoms. When that reduced my fever some and took care of some of the pain, the overworked resident attempted to send me home telling me to come back in the morning. A disagreement between Kevin and the doctor ensued, I don’t remember details, but the fact that 20 minutes after stopping the IV my fever was at the same place as when starting it and passing out when trying to stand up finally resulted in an ECG and being admitted. The ECG strongly suggested that there is more to the pain than “just” having had open heart surgery less than 6 weeks ago.

Further tests confirmed that in addition to something arthritic in nature (I didn’t understand correctly) I have pericarditis. Which is not the end of the world, I know. It’s just that I finally started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I guess it proved to be a train running me over. So much for enjoying the end of the summer with the kids, on the beach. Oh well.

13 Responses to “What a Night!”

1. Jill says:

Thank you, Kevin! You needed to stay, Hevel, and I hope you’re getting ALL the care you need. Better yet…hope you go home, and soon, and because you’re well.

2. Christie says:

So glad somebody was there to stick up for you!

3. De says:

So sry you are not well. My mom also was recently diagnosed with pericardia this summer. Wishing you well!

Crazy! Hope you’ll be feeling better soon.

5. Annie says:

Yes! Thank heaven for Kevin and his persistence. A healthy twelve-year old just died in this country (not some inner-city child, but an upper middle class kid with caring parents, at a good hospital) because the ER insisted on sending him home when he had a terrible infection. They didn’t trust the boy or his parents when they said this was different and serious. I guess I’ve sat in the ER with an injured child a few times and have seen the many people who line up to get “pain meds” who, when out of sight of the staff, seem to be doing quite well. I’m sure they have a lot to contend with, but sheesh! They do need to err on the side of being careful – especially with a heart patient! especially when there’s a persistent fever. This is very scary.

I hope you are feeling better now. I’m glad Kevin is there with AND for you! We often need an advocate…and someone who speaks up TO us, too. 🙂
    HUGS!
    (I’ve been ill since the weekend with a nasty sinus infection. :-()

Thank you! It just takes time and meds…but it’s hard for me to slow down and just rest.

How are you feeling today?