Faith Healing and the Such

Most of my adult life I have been battling serious and less serious health issues. I have cancer, heart issues, spine issues and numerous infections in my past, with many surgeries and hospitalizations. I have a small pharmacy in my bathroom cupboard, and I fight each day to regain my health as best as possible and to live life like a normal person. People who care for me want to help, and driven with hope for me, my SIL suggested I go see a miracle rabbi in Jerusalem.

You see, Christianity doesn’t have a monopoly on faith healers and preachers that perform miracles. Judaism has a long history of miracle rabbis, some of whom were proficient in healing. They seem to be surfacing again, possibly as an answer to televangelists. My SIL was full of love and goodwill when she pointed me towards this particular person, but I have to admit I find big faith healing events to be not only scams but outright harmful. Patients are often discouraged to seek regular medical assistance, and that in itself is a warning sign. Those patients, who don’t experience long term healing are blamed for their failure, for not having enough faith, thus adding spiritual and psychological damage.

There are countless documentaries on YouTube about faith healing techniques and scams, truth about people like Peter Popoff or Benny Hinn, but I chose this Channel 4 special by Derren Brown about how he trained an everyday man to be a believable faith healer. His message towards the end of the program is worth listening to! It starts at 1:07:00. Please give ย Derren and Nathan those few minutes to listen to the message they have: “G-d doesn’t want your money to heal you.”

Yes, Mr. Brown is an atheist and a sceptic. However, he is not trying to tear down the faith of those who believe, but uncover the scams that are used to fleece the believers.

Another thing that I ran into when undergoing chemotherapy and suffering from the side effercts was people recommending me all kinds of alternative medicines instead of chemo. Special diets. Massage. Candles. Homeopathy. Whatever. To replace chemotherapy. They pointed towards Steve Jobs who was battling pancreatic cancer with alternative medicine. I’d like to point out that the major difference between Mr. Jobs and I is that he is dead and I’m alive.

I am going to be honest. There were things that helped me inย additionย to chemotherapy and other conventional cancer treatment. Some of these were, and please know that I’m not a distributor for any MLM’s and I don’t benefit from naming these products, Tahitian Noni juice and Narosan, a vitamin packed product by a Swiss company. Neither was cheap, though I got a discount from distributors, because they wanted to help. I got their products at the same price they paid for them. The greatest thing about both products was that they tasted good and they made me feel good about being able to keep them down. I loved them, and they helped me get vitamins into my body that I needed. For others it was other things. I keep saying that my miracle cure was pomegranate Arizona Ice Tea, that I could drink a lot of… making us nearly bankrupt.

Faith and non-pharmaceuticals have a place in healing and recovery. However, making them the only tools for healing is foolish.

16 Responses to “Faith Healing and the Such”

1. Christie says:

Don’t even get me started on scam artists. :/
    They put people under burdens and take their last resources all in the name of G-d. ๐Ÿ™
    I have used alternative therapies, and doctors. I have prayed also that the Lord would remove what I have.
    His grace is sufficient for me. And in eternity I know I will be whole. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I rest in that.
    I know that G-d CAN and DOES heal, but he doesn’t require a person for this.
    I knew of two people who were totally deaf who were healed when NOBODY was praying for them. It was at my church
    and they both just stood up and proclaimed they could hear. They couldn’t speak, so it was an odd adventure to behold!
    There is rest and peace in Christ….and it doesn’t depend upon healing.

I don’t doubt that there have been miraculous healings. But as you said, there is no need for an extra person in the equation. They also don’t depend on the number of digits on a cheque one fills out for a ministry.

I can’t believe people still pay Popoff. After his very public fail.

2. Freddie says:

How dare you say Benny Hinn is a scammer! He heals and delivers people from Satan.

3. No use for scam artists. I do have use for faith healing, and have seen it happen several times in my own family, including my husband’s severe mitral valve prolapse being healed–to the point of shocking all Doctors–even though HE DID NOT KNOW that I had prayed for healing for it. I never told him until after he came home shocked from a check-up at the Doctor’s. His heart is healed–I can hear the difference with my own ears, as I know what it sounded like before and now after. God is able do do exceedingly abundantly above what we ask or think, and He can heal if He chooses in various ways. If not, He can give us grace to cope. But def–stay away from the scams and the scammers!

4. Jon Hayenga says:

I can’t remember if you posted this some where else or if somebody else did, but it is a good program. Especially the message he delivers at the end.
    I think Faith has a place in medicine, but as a personal belief not a “faith healing”.
    You make a great point about Steve Jobs.
    That was great that you were able to find some products that you could keep down and helped get you the vitamins you needed, and also that the companies were willing to help you with the cost.
    Hugs, Jon

Your last two sentences sum this up well. I agree.
    I’m just so sorry you’ve had to battle so many health issues. ๐Ÿ™
    When one of my sister’s died of cancer, some told me, “She must of not had enough faith…or had done something wrong.” ๐Ÿ™ That really hurt my heart and made me sad and mad.
    Because if life and a healthy body was based on faith or good works or a good life…then she should be alive and I should be the one dead and gone.
    Thank you for this post. You touched on some things I’ve been pondering lately.
    You are an inspiration to me…and often give me joy and hope. Thank you, Friend.
    HUGS! ๐Ÿ™‚

People who comment like that think they are mightier than god, and know his mind better than god himself. People die because we are mortal. No matter how much faith one has, they will eventually die.

6. Adele says:

Hello1 I find myself more and more often checking over here to see what has been said and to always learn something. Your comment “People die because we are mortal.No matter how much faith one has,they will eventually die.” is so obvious but I have to admit over the years,I’ve pondered,why can’t we live forever. Beyond the overcrowding which jumps out at one, I recently found something for thought and I would love to here your thoughts.
    This quote is found beginning the third from last paragraph here :http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-a-schwartz/immortality_b_1680509.html

“Death, in a manner of speaking, is the ultimate due date. Death is what motivates us to live. Without it, what reason do we have to better ourselves, and the world around us? In a reality in which all are immortal, I could just imagine everyone saying in unison, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

I don’t know much about the writer,David A. Schwartz,other than he has a degree in Philosophy

I will have to read that article more thouroughly when the kids nap, but I have to, mostly, agree with the quote you shared. My view of death is also influenced by Judaism and Mormonism, my own experience that makes me believe there is no afterlife, and the most recent season of Torchwood. I think death is just as much a neccessary human experience as birth: without death, there would be no driving force behind living life to the fullest.

7. Christina says:

Don’t even get me started! Faith healing and “natural” remedy scams. Two of my most favorite things to rant about. (I used to be all into the homeopathic stuff, but now I realize how foolish some of that was. Specifically, I was really into the idea of “unassisted homebirth” and fell into that loony crowd for awhile. I’ve since come around.)

“Know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine!” ๐Ÿ˜‰

My sister was really into unassisted home birth and other alternative jumbo mumbo, till it was pointed out to her that the same advancement in science that brought us qualified ObGyns brought us her beloved iPad. ๐Ÿ™‚

Faith healing is one of the biggest businesses in Christianity.

8. Guess I just think it is all a mystery. I do believe that sometimes God asks that the “extra” person be present. Jesus sent his apostles out to heal among other things. I do believe it faith healing, but certainly don’t believe that money is part of it, and certainly sometimes healing is part of the plan, sometimes it is not. Even Jesus asked that God take the cup away….and God did not. Our priest said last week something I like, that God will always answer prayer, and if He doesn’t say “yes” in answer to your plea, He will give you something better.

I know that’s hard to believe, but that’s what faith is about, I guess.

I think the whole middle man approach of Catholicism is what I don’t get. Well, to be honest, the key here is… that G-d doesn’t ask for money.