logo

Button Cell Batteries

logo

When our son Matthew was first fitted with hearing aids at the ripe old age of 4 months, the pedoaudiologist pointed to the button cell batteries that came with his hearing aids and said, “You know, these can kill your kids in multiple ways.” She went on to describe that in addition to being a chocking hazard, these batteries keep functioning when swallowed, and the electricity generated by them is just as dangerous as the chocking.

She told us to always keep track of the batteries in our home, fresh and dead ones alike, as those might still have some power in them as well. We should always know how many batteries we have in the house and to regularly check if each of them is accounted for.  She also warned us about all the toys, musical cards, medical and kitchen equipment that have button cell batteries. From the kitchen and bathroom scales to thermometers to handheld games, button cell batteries are everywhere.

And hearing aids… Our home is full of these batteries as well as young kids. We are trying to avoid all contact between these two things: batteries and kids. We keep the used batteries in a paper box on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet, next to the new ones. We only allow toys and equipment that have a cover for the batteries that is screwed on. We got rid of the digital bathroom scale because of the accessibility of the batteries. And we don’t do musical greating cards. Because they are dangerous. Kids can be very quiet and very fast when it comes to eating batteries, and the damage is done before symptoms show.

Please read Leah‘s and Renee‘s posts about how you can protect your children.

5 Responses to “Button Cell Batteries”

  1. Annie says:

    Wow. Who would think? Not me. Amazing everyone seems to be alive up to this point.

    • Hevel says:

      I know, I was so sad for Renee when I heard about Kellsey swallowing them! It’s showcking where all these batteries can be found and how no one seems to be aware of them. The hearing aid batteries made me paranoid, because they are tiny!

  2. doesitevenmatter3 says:

    This is very scary! I’m glad you have a system to try to keep everyone safe.

    Yes, kids are quick and so curious.
    I have heard many stories. And they still scare me.

    HUGS!

  3. doesitevenmatter3 says:

    I have a story about a kid putting a bean in his ear.
    Not a good ending.
    HUGS!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

logo
logo
Powered by WordPress | Designed by Elegant Themes

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close