7 Quick Takes Friday – Ireland Edition

— 1 —

I’d just like to point out that honoring St. Patrick’s day the proper way is to go to Mass and then for a pint at the pub. Parades in most places became common when the American tourists were looking for them. K, thanks.

— 2 —

Ireland. For me it means the Republic of Ireland, which is my home. For many it means the entire island. I haven’t been to Northern Ireland much, but I hear it’s beautiful. Us folks from the Republic don’t really like to be referred to as “British”, though we are practically not anti-British, unlike my grandfather’s generation. Ireland was neutral during WWII, but there were some pro-German sentiments only because they were anti-British.

— 3 —

There’s a charity in Ireland that I’ve been supporting since I was 14. Enable Ireland provides services to children and adults with physical and multiple diabilities. For years my entire tax return went to them, and  I shopped a lot in their charity shops. Because of my location donating to the shops is next to impossible, but I make online donations and if you feel inclined, you can do that, too, here.

— 4 —

Ireland is, finally, stopping to be the homogenious Catholic country it once was. With immigration from all over the world there is a lot of diversity coming in to the cities. Tehre are lots of nominally Catholic Polish workers, but just as many not religious Hungarians and lots of African and middle Eastern folks, binging Islam and Protestant religions with them. I quite like that change. Maybe, one day, the accountability of the clergy and the Catholic church will be a reality.

— 5 —

The best meal ever is a full Irish breakfast.

Found the picture online. If it's yours, please let me know so I can give credit.

Full Irish Breakfast

Of course it’s not kosher, but it’s the best thing ever. Sausage, bacon, eggs, black and white pudding… and all the other goodies that go with it. The absolute best thing is that it has no cabbage. It’s something I can eat for all meals when I’m back home. I hate cabbage but love potatoes, so I am ambivalent about most of the traditional dishes. A pint of stout and a slice of soda bread is a perfect dinner, though.

— 6 —

Mentioning kashrut… during the 30s and up to the 50s Ireland had a flourishing Jewish community. Dublin and Cork, especially. Today there are four congregations left: three in Dublin and a tiny one in Cork. Tehre is a family in Galway, and another one in Limerick.When we lived in Galway, we were the only Jewish family there.

— 7 —

The Irish shamrock has three leaves. Always three leaves. It has nothing to do with luck, it has to do with the Trinity. It’s annoying (at least to me), to turn this symbol into a “luck of the Irish” four-leved-clover.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

Today’s 7 Quick Takes is hosted by http://www.bettybeguiles.com/

Also because I don’t have time to write another post today: Shame on you, North Carolina! You rock, President Obama!

9 Responses to “7 Quick Takes Friday – Ireland Edition”

1. Marica says:

It’s weird that I’m Slovak but I dislike sausage and cooked cabbage (but I love raw cabbage in salad!) 😛 My family thinks I’m weird haha.

Someday I’d love to go to Ireland. 🙂

I am with you on the cabbage! I also don’t like sausage much, but I have my periods when I could eat half a pig in sausage form.

Also, I think Ryanair flies from Prague to Dublin. Or some other budget airlines do.

2. jen says:

I was in Ireland 14 years ago and we expected to hear traditional music in the pubs. Ummm… does Celine Dion count?

All the B&B’s where we stayed served an Irish breakfast. I couldn’t eat it at the time as I was vegetarian at the time and I’m still not a fan. (A friend of my parents sends it to us every year at Christmas.) I can’t process the grease so I end up sick if I eat it.

You know how many times I get that about the pubs? I always ask whether traditional American folk music is played in pubs and bars in America. The same reasoning goes for Irish pubs: they play what the patrons like, so you will find anything from pop to rock to JPop… and yes, traditional in certain pubs. Those are either total touris traps or are pubs that are well guarded from tourists. 🙂

Being a vegetarian in Ireland is also easy. We have 400+ ways to prepare cabbage and potatoes. 😀

• jen says:

Since you asked… 🙂

It depends on the bar or pub. You can find pretty much everything bad country-western to Bob Dylan to rock in a bar if they have an open mike night. American folk music is also a pretty broad category so you could easily find one that has it.

When we were in Ireland, we asked the locals where they would go to avoid the tourists and they gave us some nice suggestions for places that weren’t total tourist traps. In one town, the only thing to do on Saturday night was to go to the pub or to church so my brother and our friends and I headed to the pub. It was an open mike night and the highlights were seeing one of the musicians so pissed that he fell of his chair and another doing a decent version of Dylan’s “Knocking on Heaven’s Door”. That night also reinforced the fact that I hate Guinness, regardless of whether I’m in Ireland or the States.

We did stay at a B&B run by a family of traditional musicians so they sang for us. The dad looked like Al Bundy.

As for vegetarian food in Ireland, I had some of the best Italian food there.

Well, I knew that, but I like to ask back so certain AMerican tourists actually start using their brains. 😉 They usually get a chuckle out of it when they realize they were silly.

One of the best places playing traditional Irish music is in Kansas. 😀

This was interesting to read!!! I grew up on cabbage and potatoes! 🙂 I only like certain sausages, though. 🙂 That looks like a huge breakfast! Two of my kids got to go to Ireland in March. They had a blast! And, yes, they kissed the Blarney Stone!

I’ve always thought the shamrock is a beautiful plant!

Happy Weekend!
    HUGS! 🙂

The Blarney Stone is pretty much local to me. I used to go up there all the time. Love Blarney. Blarney Woollen Mills are a great place to shop too.