On Sex Ed

As a parent I realize that the sexual education of my child is my job. I will teach him about the birds and bees, and since that has nothing to do with anything, I will teach him about human sexuality, safe sex, contraception and responsibility in sexuality.

At the same time, I maintain the right to shoot the first person that says sex ed is my parental responsibility and then goes into my kids’ school and preaches abstinence only. I also maintain the right for my kid to talk back and be snarky and humiliate said “educator”. And when my kid is disciplined for that, I maintain the right to call the teachers and the principal stupid, ignorant, hypocrit bitches who are pushing their own agenda onto my kids and then are surprised that there are 6 pregnant girls in the school when ithad never happened before.

Not that it has happened… at least not recently. 🙂

Abstinence and lack of knowledge is never the best solution. Just saying. I come from an abstinence and let’s not go beyond birds and bees culture, and I was sexually abused without knowing it for years and years, because hey, I was neither a bird nor a bee!

Lack of knowledge is the brainwashed, cultist way. You don’t need to know what’s in your kool aid, anyway. And as long as Bristol Palin is your best poster child…

15 Responses to “On Sex Ed”

Csak valahogy olyan nehéz, hogy MIKOR és MENNYIT?

Lásd Zalán esetét a jó csajokkal.
    Elvileg még sok-sok évünk lenne, gyakorlatilag meg?!

Igaza volt, aki azt mondta: Szül?nek lenni a legnehezebb szakma!
    Ezt is tanítani kellene, de nem szentfazekoknak, hanem ?szinte hozzáért?knek…

2. You can have both of course. I was raised with the ‘abstinence’ idea, but I knew way more about sex and safe sex than anyone else in my class in high school. Even though they were raised much more ‘liberal’ (for lack of a better word). For instance, at school, we learned how to use a condom or the pill, but none of the other students seemed to know that the pill doesn’t protect you from STD’s.
    My little brother, Siem (5yo), has known for several years now where children come from and what sex is. He even knows what AIDS is and how to prevent it. Our family probably is an exception, in that sex is talked about quite often and casually, while still believing in abstinence. Knowledge is very, very high on the priority list of our family. 🙂

My issue is that “abstinence only” only sex ed is damaging. I think sex ed should be done by parents, whether it is safe sex or abstinence only. And after telling me that it’s my job and then they go and tell my kids pretty much that your parents are immoral bastards pretty much blows my fuses.

And before I’m taken wrong, I am not encouraging promiscuity or teenage sex. But that’s a choice my kids will make, not me, and they need to have all theknowledge to make an informed choice.

3. I would be fuming too if the teachers of my children would be giving their opinion on my sex life. That’s totally out of line!

4. Annie says:

I ended up have pre-marital sex mainly BECAUSE of “sex education”….somehow the way it was presented (though abstinence only) caused me to KNOW that abstinence was NOT the norm, and that with my abstinence ideas, I was the out-of-sync, “weird” one. Maybe it was just the kids’ reactions. Anyway, I AGONIZED over it, and when the opportunity came, I reluctantly made the “best” of it. Only as a later-twenties adult later did I realize via the pain and misery I’d brought upon myself and others, that the abstinence people were right and the snickering ones were stupid.

That’s the problem with school, though….the teachers/administrators/committees will never be able to be sensitive to all children or respectful of all beliefs and life-styles. Impossible, and since sex is (to my mind) a sacred, spiritual issue, it should be left to parents and churches.

Interestingly, I once had a friend who contended that for the same reason, religion should never be taught in school either…..because the teachers will never get it right, and somehow teaching about it takes away the holiness. Same with sex.

Is this the one you thought would be too controversial?

You see? Abstinence only sex ed at achool simply doesn’t work. Furthermore, it’s not sex ed. It’s the lack of sex ed.

And actually, no, it’s not the controversial topic… I think there is nothing controversial about sex ed not being a school’s responsibility. Teaching human reproduction in Biology complete with meiosis and mitosis is their responsibility.

The controversial thing has to do with the pickle jar. And I’ll post about religion in school.

5. Annie says:

Also – I do think that what kids pick up is NOT the “knowledge” component…but all the things that are unsaid.

6. Annie says:

Actually, I miswrote…it wasn’t abstinence “only” but abstinence “preferred”, but my point is really that I do not think anyone picked up ANY of the actual content, because the emotional impact of the topic was too overwhelming. It was the unspoken messages of the teacher, the big “message” that was conveyed by HAVING the lesson (they weren’t giving us skydiving lessons….obviously, they EXPECTED this) and the spoken and unspoken shards of teaching from all the students that comprised the lesson.

7. Jon Hayenga says:

I stand and cheer you for this entry.
    I only wish I was as eloquent as you.
    Teach your children well, and never depend on somebody else to cloud their minds with ignorance. 🙂
    HUGS………

8. Bozót says:

Agreed! Sex ed in our school meant a short talk about AIDS and how to use a condom….awesome :/
    Luckily, my parents were open and easy on the topic.

I think that was more than the schol needs to do. It was peer ed for us with a banana and a condom.

• Bozót says:

Definitely more and totally useless….well, at least we had a good giggle over the girl who was supposed to “teach” us 😛 Too bad in retrospect…